Image Map Image Map

Thread: win3.1 emulator that supports a 'real' PCI/ISA IO card?

Default win3.1 emulator that supports a 'real' PCI/ISA IO card?

Not sure where to put this..

I have a custom GPIB card, whose accompanying software will ONLY run on win3.1 (software runs on win95 but it's dependent on Norton Backup which crashes).

Do there exist any emulator that can emulate win3.1 and interface with the real-world card? Has anyone tried this?

The card is an oddball Waters chromatography interface one, and I only have the very very oldest software for it.

I was really hoping not having to downgrade a win95 pc to win3.1...

Thanks in advnance!

--Chris

Current systems: PDP11/23, ZX-spectrum, MEK-6802D5, Ampex 210 CRT terminal, ZX-spectrum
    Current projects: 8085 Altair 8800 compatible
    Looking for: DEC RX-50 drive, QBUS ROM card, intel 8288

You could probably write custom passthru software for an existing VM hypervisor or emulator, but running on real hardware is probably going to be the most straightforward answer. We've attempted to virtualize similar setups for my day-job work with little success. It ended up being less headache just to put together an industrial-spec embedded system and run something close to whatever the original controller ran, or fix up and modernize the existing controller.

A project I've been wanting to build forever is an ATX motherboard with a USB2 HS link back to a PC running DOSEMU or another emulator with I/O bus extensions. I would be 'interesting' to have the CPU and storage running on a modern PC with a real ET4000 and GUS sitting in a beige-box case with front panel controls.

I wish I had more time.

But as glitch said, a period correct machine off ebay is the smart move.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Thanks for the replies,

yeah that's what I figured too. I tried installing the software on a win3.1 emulator and I got the same errors as I did on win95. Maybe it's not meant to be.

--Chris

Current systems: PDP11/23, ZX-spectrum, MEK-6802D5, Ampex 210 CRT terminal, ZX-spectrum
    Current projects: 8085 Altair 8800 compatible
    Looking for: DEC RX-50 drive, QBUS ROM card, intel 8288