Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adaptec 2742W

Default Adaptec 2742W

Before I go down the rabbit hole can anyone verify if the Adaptec 2742W controller supports 2.88 FDDs? The Adaptec docs mention the 2.88MB FDD support on the 2742A but for the other cards they simply mention floppy support. If anyone has one installed a quick look through the EISA config options should verify it one way or the other. Thank you!
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

I don't have any experience with Adaptec EISA controllers, but the FDC chip will dictate the support for 2.88MB. The VL Bus 2842 has the same situation; I use one with a 2.88MB ED drive, but I'm not sure if it's the 2842A or the plain 2842.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I don't have any experience with Adaptec EISA controllers, but the FDC chip will dictate the support for 2.88MB. The VL Bus 2842 has the same situation; I use one with a 2.88MB ED drive, but I'm not sure if it's the 2842A or the plain 2842.
    Chuck,

I have a 2840 myself so I can not verify either way. On your 2842 when you access the SCSIselect utility (ctrl-A) does it give you an option for FDDs? If you determine if you have a 2842VL vs. 2842A please let me know. Adaptec was never very good at model differentiation (aside from the ending 2 for floppy support). Looking at the spec sheets for both cards they sound like they are exactly the same. No information as to what has been updated between the two models/revisions.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

That's the EISA one correct? My manuals say it supports 2 floppy drives nothing about type or density.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Since you have the card, what FDC chip does it use?

Blog Entries

I will have to recall which machine it is in and dig it out (you would be surprised how many EISA computers I have).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I will have to recall which machine it is in and dig it out (you would be surprised how many EISA computers I have).
    That would be great. The problem is, as you have discovered, the Adaptec manual is not very specific. I myself have 2740W and CC IV in the Megacube. However, if the 2742W does support 2.88 I can endeavor to get one and reduce the number of cards in the Megacube by moving the CC IV to a different system.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    Adaptec was never very good at model differentiation (aside from the ending 2 for floppy support). Looking at the spec sheets for both cards they sound like they are exactly the same. No information as to what has been updated between the two models/revisions.
    They were ok at it for a while:
    1510 - ISA bus PIO controller (no BIOS)
    1520/1522 - ISA bus PIO controller without/with FDC
    1540/1542 - ISA bus DMA controller without/with FDC
    1640 - MCA bus DMA controller (I don't recall if there was ever a 1642)
    1740/1742 - EISA bus DMA controller without/with FDC
    2740/2742 - EISA bus DMA controller (gen 2 I guess) without/with FDC
    2940 - PCI bus DMA controller (I don't think there was a 2942)

After that the numbering got a bit wacky, but at least 29160 and 29320 are straightforward to identify.
    Last edited by kgober; July 11th, 2019 at 05:18 AM.

Blog Entries

Ah, but you're forgetting the gradations in models. I have a 1542 (plain, no suffix), a 1542B and a 1542CF--and then a couple of ROM-less versions of the 1540 with numbers I don't recall.

There are several variations of the 2940 also--and I've seen ROMless versions of those, so you have to be careful when buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Ah, but you're forgetting the gradations in models. I have a 1542 (plain, no suffix), a 1542B and a 1542CF--and then a couple of ROM-less versions of the 1540 with numbers I don't recall.

There are several variations of the 2940 also--and I've seen ROMless versions of those, so you have to be careful when buying.
    I think the CF had to do with the external port on the bracket. The CF models had a centronics connector instead of a regular 25 pin connector.

In general there were some rules they followed:

1xxxx: SCSI-1
    2xxxx: SCSI-2 (FAST SCSI)
    ending in 2: included floppy controller
    ending in T: Twin Channel
    ending in W: was a wide versions with a 68pin connector (e.g. 2742 vs. 2742W)
    ending in UW: was ultra wide (again w/ a 68pin connector)

so a 2940 was a FAST SCSI device w/ speeds up to 20mb/s, 2940W 40mb/s, and the 2940UW 80mb/s. After that you got the 29160 and 29320 which are self explanatory speed wise.

However, I am all with Chuck on this one. Adaptec just had too many different models (retail and OEM) with similar part numbers that were not well differentiated.