Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adaptec 2742W

Blog Entries

You forgot the variations like -U2W (differential ultra-wide).

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    You forgot the variations like -U2W (differential ultra-wide).
    Chuck,

I always thought the differential (HVD) designator was an ending in 4 (e.g. 2742W vs. 2744W).

We could also get into families:

x0xx: ISA
    x5xx: ISA
    x6xx: MCA
    x7xx: ESIA
    x8xx: VLB
    x9xx: PCI

Of course one has to remember this is mostly with AHA- lines and not the many other companies (e.g. DECnet, DPT, TMC, etc.) that Adaptec acquired over the years. For example the TMC-130 information is now under the obsolete products pages for Adaptec under Microsemi.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the toggle switch on the back) 4. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 5. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

The Adaptec alphabet soup. I get

"AHA-2940U2W Single Channel PCI-to-Ultra2 Wide LVD Single ended SCSI PCI controller"

Then there's the plain old 2920 which is really a Future Domain PCI controller, etc.

And then the various NCR and Trantor-relabeled ones.

It's all very confusing. Did Adaptec ever make an HVD controller?

Edit Yes, the 2944.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); July 11th, 2019 at 09:52 AM.

The Adaptec alphabet soup. I get

"AHA-2940U2W Single Channel PCI-to-Ultra2 Wide LVD Single ended SCSI PCI controller"

Then there's the plain old 2920 which is really a Future Domain PCI controller, etc.

And then the various NCR and Trantor-relabeled ones.

It's all very confusing. Did Adaptec ever make an HVD controller?
    Okay this page clarifies a bit.

It seems as if ending in 4 signifies a HVD devices (e.g. 2744W or 2944UW). Where as the U2W designation is reserved for LVD devices (e.g. 2940U2W) which for Adaptec where multi-modal (i.e. you could have both SE and LVD devices connected to the same adapter).

I think most consumers probably never came across HVD as it was mostly in business where you needed long cable runs (e.g. to a 9 track across the room). At least that is how I always kept it straight in my head. I actually have a Compaq (rebranded DEC) HVD - SE adapter which uses its own power supply to inject power for the HVD end.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the toggle switch on the back) 4. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 5. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Trying to get things back on track

On the subject of the FDD support - Chuck do you know if the Adaptec BIOS code provides floppy support or do the cards just provide HW and the BIOS support needs to come from the MB? This would be different from the CC IV where you can enable the on board BIOS and it overrides the MB support.

If the Adaptec cards only provide HW and no BIOS support then the point is kind of moot.

Blog Entries

I looked at a couple EISA machine I had handy and the card is not there, must be somewhere else.

Looking at some cards on google it appears that that model used more then one chip for the floppy controller. One is some kind of intel chip, the other I seen in a National semiconductor and I can barely make out S973DA something.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

How about a National DP8473. One of the really good FDC ICs, as it supports not only FM, but also 128-byte MFM sectoring. And it does support 1MBps data rate.

Blog Entries

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-PC8477.../292196594206?

Close a DP8477BV-1 for $4 shipped from China , NEW. Software compatible with the DP8473.

https://elcodis.com/parts/540529/PC8...html#datasheet
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

I got out my 2842VL; it does support ED drives and uses a PC8477 (68 pin[17 pins on a side] PLCC)
    My older 1542 uses a DP8273V (52 pin [13 pins on a side] PLCC).

I suppose instead of the PC8477, you might instead have an Intel 82077AA (same basic pinning as the PC8477).

In theory, all can support 2.88M 3.5; your computer BIOS should have that option in its setup.

(I'd forgotten how much I hated VLB; pull one card and it unseats all of the other VLB cards. Then you finagle things back).

In theory, all can support 2.88M 3.5; your computer BIOS should have that option in its setup.
    Chuck,

Thanks for checking. So you are saying that the Adaptec card BIOS does not have the floppy code and it is dependent on the main system BIOS for the code?