Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: 1000HX max performance build

  1. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Towmater View Post
    I take it that Tandy Graphics can no longer be used with a VGA card installed? Does Flashfloppy on a Gotek work in a 720 drive mode? What's the purpose of a Zip drive if a CF card XTIDE is used? How do you interrupt the cellular mitosis? So many questions.
    In the time it takes you to read this sentence I have removed the top cover from the 1000HX. While reading through this sentence I have pulled the VGA card from the top slot and placed the VGA cable to the side, near where the CGA/TGA cable is laying. And next during the time it takes to remove the VGA card you have arrived at this point in the post. After all that I just need to plug the cable up to the PC, the cable goes into a scan converter that allows the CGA/TGA graphics to display on the same VGA monitor, which takes about as long as reading the rest of this post. These are not irrevocable changes to the PC.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Outer Mongolia
    Posts
    1,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Towmater View Post
    Does Flashfloppy on a Gotek work in a 720 drive mode?
    Works fine and dandy on my 1000EX, yes.

  3. #13

    Default

    I got the dongles off eBay. The mod just requires clipping the end of the dongle and soldering those wires to the appropriate pins on the back of the Tandy joystick port. Then run an extension cable to the expansion ports and make a hole for it. Iíll post pics once this sucker is done.

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RetroGaming Roundup View Post
    In the time it takes you to read this sentence I have removed the top cover from the 1000HX. While reading through this sentence I have pulled the VGA card from the top slot and placed the VGA cable to the side, near where the CGA/TGA cable is laying. And next during the time it takes to remove the VGA card you have arrived at this point in the post. After all that I just need to plug the cable up to the PC, the cable goes into a scan converter that allows the CGA/TGA graphics to display on the same VGA monitor, which takes about as long as reading the rest of this post. These are not irrevocable changes to the PC.
    You sick monster! Honestly, as long as youíre not drilling a hole in the case Iíll allow it.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Chilliwack, BC, Canada
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrandPoobah View Post
    You sick monster! Honestly, as long as you’re not drilling a hole in the case I’ll allow it.
    I'm kind of a stickler when it comes to destructive case modding. I like everything to be reversible.

    I wanted an activity light for my "PLUS" ISA-CF card (it's on a protoboard), so I swapped the original power LED with a two-color LED, and used a spare 74LS00 (an '04 would work too if you've got available gates) from my stash to invert the *DASP signal a few times, so it stays green when there's no activity (even without a CF card inserted), and goes to red when there's activity. I found it works better if the green goes off when red goes on (it's easier to see), so I have both signals coming from the card with a 3-wire cable.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

    Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicagoland, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    5,851
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soviet9922 View Post
    Hey how the sega joystick mod is done ?
    Yeah, how does this work? Assuming there is a small circuit that converts digital to fixed analog resistance values?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Yeah, how does this work? Assuming there is a small circuit that converts digital to fixed analog resistance values?
    Here's the guts. My one sentence review: Well made and does exactly what it says it does.

    IMG_5270.jpgIMG_5270 2.jpgIMG_5271.jpg
    Tandy 1000EX/SX/HX/TX/TL3/RLHD/RLX/RSX, Tandy 2500SX-MultiMedia/SX-33, Coco 1, Coco 3, TRS-80 4p

    Looking for that little tab from the upper right corner of a Tandy keyboard that holds the function key labels in place

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackepyon View Post
    I'm kind of a stickler when it comes to destructive case modding. I like everything to be reversible.

    I wanted an activity light for my "PLUS" ISA-CF card (it's on a protoboard), so I swapped the original power LED with a two-color LED, and used a spare 74LS00 (an '04 would work too if you've got available gates) from my stash to invert the *DASP signal a few times, so it stays green when there's no activity (even without a CF card inserted), and goes to red when there's activity. I found it works better if the green goes off when red goes on (it's easier to see), so I have both signals coming from the card with a 3-wire cable.
    I was thinking about the same thing, but since the Zip drive i'm using in the HX is a bit shorter than the normal Tandy 3.5 floppy slot, I think I'm just going to fashion a spacer from one of the plastic expansion slot blanks and mount an LED in that.

    I'm OCD enough that if i did actually swap the power LED, I'd tape the original to the inside of the case for safe keeping

    IMG_5272.jpg
    Tandy 1000EX/SX/HX/TX/TL3/RLHD/RLX/RSX, Tandy 2500SX-MultiMedia/SX-33, Coco 1, Coco 3, TRS-80 4p

    Looking for that little tab from the upper right corner of a Tandy keyboard that holds the function key labels in place

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Chilliwack, BC, Canada
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrandPoobah View Post
    I was thinking about the same thing, but since the Zip drive i'm using in the HX is a bit shorter than the normal Tandy 3.5 floppy slot, I think I'm just going to fashion a spacer from one of the plastic expansion slot blanks and mount an LED in that.

    I'm OCD enough that if i did actually swap the power LED, I'd tape the original to the inside of the case for safe keeping

    IMG_5272.jpg
    Since I'm bypassing the power LED's 2-pin header anyways for the 3-pin going to my card, I just left it hanging with some tape wrapped around the exposed leads
    .
    Yeah, I was thinking something similar if I replaced one of the floppy drives with standard 1.44MB drives in case the originals fail (1.44MB floppies will work on a 720K controller, just need to rig an appropriate adapter cable for power and to convert from the Shugart pinout to PC standard).

    Does the IDE ZIP work with that Tex-Elec ISA-CF card, or do you need something else? Because that would mean that the IDE ZIP can operate in PIO-8 mode, which most hard drives will not (at least that I was able to test).

    I've got an 8-bit (ISA) I/O card in mine for the serial port, but it has a bidirectional parallel port as well, and if the guest.exe driver works on an 8088, I could probably hook up my external ZIP drive just for kicks and see how well it works. My dad had thought of using the external ZIP drive on the HX years back when I was a kid, but I don't think that he realized that the built-in printer port isn't bi-directional.
    Last edited by blackepyon; Today at 04:28 AM.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

    Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •