Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1000HX max performance build

1. Default 1000HX max performance build

After kicking a few ideas around about replicating the build I did in the early 90s with my original HX when all sorts of neat plus cards were in the wild, and some of the new stuff out today for ISA bus, I am re-upgrading my HX to have a mem expansion, VGA video, NEC V20 CPU, dual serial for mouse and WiFi modem, CF HDD, USB floppy emulator, and parallel port sound card. Thanks to some of the new stuff Djos is selling on Tindie it gets allot easier. I just confirmed the XT-SVGA works great with the HX!! Most of all with Djos's dual riser intended for HX PCs without mem expansions you can now easily have 4 cards with the 4th rising just above the case, a quick 3D printed part will allow that to be a bump out hutch that will use the original lid. Games and BBSing should be awesome, anything else I should add?

1000HX.jpg

Guess I have a little competition! I’m in the middle of an HX upgrade myself. For the most part we are doing the same thing, so I’ll just highlight the differences:

I’m swapping out the PS fan with a noctua.
    Adding a Zip drive to the second drive bay.
    I don’t think I’m going to do VGA since the V20 doesn’t really have the power to play a lot of games that support it.
    I have an OPL3LPT running off the built in parallel port via one of Djos’s adaptors.
    Added a real-time clock chip.
    Added a dual serial + parallel card with one serial connection internal for WiFi.

Good luck on your build. Looking forward to seeing it

IMG_5225.jpg
    Last edited by GrandPoobah; July 11th, 2019 at 04:39 AM.

Whats the purpose of having a Tandy 1000 with Tandy Graphics + Sound if not to use them? Why add VGA I guess is my question?

If your goal is "max performance" why not? But to your point, i'm sticking with Tandy graphics. As for sound, anything added is just additional and does not disable the Tandy sound. I see no reason not to do it. I have Soundblaster / Adlib / Gameblaster / MT-32 / Tandy sound options in my 1000 SX and make use of all of them.
    Tandy 1000EX/SX/HX/TX/TL3/RLHD/RLX/RSX, Tandy 2500SX-MultiMedia/SX-33, Coco 1, Coco 3, TRS-80 4p

Looking for that little tab from the upper right corner of a Tandy keyboard that holds the function key labels in place

Maybe also consider a Sega Genesis adaptor. I'm debating soldering this in and running to a DB9 port in the back. I dont care for the dongle, and I can do the mod without messing up the case. I just finished hacking up the serial / parallel card to screw in properly. If i can find an old VGA card I think I can make a similar back plate for the joystick and second serial port.
    IMG_5226.jpgIMG_5227.jpg
    Tandy 1000EX/SX/HX/TX/TL3/RLHD/RLX/RSX, Tandy 2500SX-MultiMedia/SX-33, Coco 1, Coco 3, TRS-80 4p

Looking for that little tab from the upper right corner of a Tandy keyboard that holds the function key labels in place

6. Default

Because it can be done is good enough for me, this isn't a practical computer I will be doing my taxes on, it is just for fun. It is also a single card that be removed in seconds to use onboard graphics, and supports CGA of course. I am also doing the OPL3LPT dongle, it adds more options. There are a few things that run just fine in VGA mode and even if it is just a demo like using VGA copy to copy from A to B it is still cool to see it running on an HX.

I take it that Tandy Graphics can no longer be used with a VGA card installed? Does Flashfloppy on a Gotek work in a 720 drive mode? What's the purpose of a Zip drive if a CF card XTIDE is used? How do you interrupt the cellular mitosis? So many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Towmater View Post
    I take it that Tandy Graphics can no longer be used with a VGA card installed? Does Flashfloppy on a Gotek work in a 720 drive mode? What's the purpose of a Zip drive if a CF card XTIDE is used? How do you interrupt the cellular mitosis? So many questions.
    1) VGA = Tandy Graphics disabled
    2) Flashfloppy works, at least according to the wiki. I dont have one installed here to say for sure. I have an external bay with a dead drive I may put one into at some point, but I just havent felt the need.
    3) The CF card is under the floppy and a real pain in the ass to get to. I try to use Zip drives whenever possible because I can just connect a USB Zip to my desktop for moving stuff around.
    4) Microwave for 4 minutes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrandPoobah View Post
    Maybe also consider a Sega Genesis adaptor. I'm debating soldering this in and running to a DB9 port in the back. I dont care for the dongle, and I can do the mod without messing up the case. I just finished hacking up the serial / parallel card to screw in properly. If i can find an old VGA card I think I can make a similar back plate for the joystick and second serial port.
    IMG_5226.jpgIMG_5227.jpg
    Hey how the sega joystick mod is done ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyCactus View Post
    Whats the purpose of having a Tandy 1000 with Tandy Graphics + Sound if not to use them? Why add VGA I guess is my question?
    I'm kind of late to the party on this one, but it kind of depends on when you initially jumped on the Tandy wagon. I bought mine back in late 1986 and used it in my work. The IBM PC and XT were pricey at the time and the AT was out of the question. So, a 1000SX or 1000 whatever, was reasonably affordable if you had a need. Gaming at the time wasn't a major concern or priority, although I did have a few. I detested CGA from the get-go, and EGA was a major step forward for me in the area of word processing and database clarity. Looking back, I think it took me well into the early 90's to be able to manage a VGA setup for the 1000. I never had a problem running games with the EGA or VGA on the 1000. My solution for audio was a mono sound card which is still installed. Yes, just one speaker, and it's crisp and clear and I believe it's a Media Vision sound card (heck of name for a sound card). So, if you're a collector I can understand how you might what to keep the original configuration. However, the kid in me would have me looking for any which way to improve performance.

1. VGA
    2. SSD & XT-IDE Controller
    3. 360 & 720 FDD's
    4. V20 CPU
    5. Sound Card
    6. Serial Port
    7. 300 Baud Modem

The above accounts for all 5 slots. Runs great and no gotchas.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting