Image Map Image Map

Thread: Toshiba T4700 CT repair.

Default Toshiba T4700 CT repair.

I had this laptop not used for years. Recently I tried to boot it, and no success. I got a black screen.It seems that error code (p30) is exactly like in this article:
    https://www.vobarian.com/toshibaProblem.html

Now I need to find somebody who would be able to de solder that cap. I have no experience with this laptop, I don't even know how to open it. Did anyway tried to fix such issue and would be willing to help me?

I've got one of those in my project pile, and I never could figure out how to get it apart either.

Mine booted the last time I tired it but the built-in screen only showed all white.

At least I'm not alone

Quote Originally Posted by Niezgodka View Post
    ..., I don't even know how to open it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    I've got one of those in my project pile, and I never could figure out how to get it apart either.
    The maintenance manual for the T4700CT is at [here].
    The description of chapter 4 includes, "This section explains how to disassemble the T4700CS/T4700CT/T4800CT"

I did this with a T4600C. Fixing the specific capacitor fixed the P30 issue for me. In order to get to the PSU, follow the maintenance manual and document well, best with photos (I didn't...). I had to take almost the whole machine apart, which took a lot of patience and time. The soldering itself was not particularly hard.

However, if I leave the machine connected to power, it will eventually (after some hours) turn on by itself. Pressing the power button won't do anything, the system can't be turned off unless I remove power again. Reconnecting power will turn on the computer instantly - if I let it sit a few hours without power, it won't turn on until a few hours have passed.

This behaviour also appears in the docking station.

Does anyone have an idea why this happens?

Looks like a nice project.

I just wonder. It says, that computer works on battery fine, but problem is when you run it from PSU.
    So if I would mickey mouse the cables from psu to pins for battery, the computer would work?
    Can sombody confirm, and tell me how to connect it?

Quote Originally Posted by Niezgodka View Post
    So if I would mickey mouse the cables from psu to pins for battery, the computer would work?
    Can sombody confirm, and tell me how to connect it?
    The PSU uses a higher voltage than the battery, so using the PSU on the battery connector will destroy the machine. Using a correct voltage PSU should work, but I never tried it on a Toshiba (I did on other devices and it works almost everywhere). Fixing the PSU is the better approach, though.

I am glad to see this discussion...I have a literal stack of Toshiba T4xxx models from a previous employer. Last I checked, none of them would work, don't remember the code, but it probably is that P30...and I now I know the fix! At one point I was going to pull the hard drives and dispose of them, but getting to the drives isn't easy and I never got around to it. Perhaps that is a good thing! I'll have to see about trying to fix one some day and see if that does it...

Wesley