Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remove yellowing from plastic using just the sun - and nothing else??

Blog Entries

Again, that's where we need some qualitative analysis. If it's just UVA-B, ordinary 405 or 365 nm UV LED's should be the cat's whiskers. Regular "black light" fluorescents should also be suitable. Go rent a tanning bed and stick your stuff in there for a couple of hours.

Don't do this on any equipment you really care about. There is evidence that whitening plastic by sun bleaching causes the yellowing to reappear even worse than before, and also makes the plastic more brittle and likely to crack.

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    Don't do this on any equipment you really care about. There is evidence that whitening plastic by sun bleaching causes the yellowing to reappear even worse than before, and also makes the plastic more brittle and likely to crack.
    From what I've seen, that is based on only one post - an Apple LC case, put into intense high-heat sun.

Anyway, I'd never attempt this on something I really care about - and a severely yellowed item is something I wouldn't care about in the first place. I suspect sun alone would not make something as brittle as something that was retrobrighted with peroxide.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Amiga500 View Post
    From what I've seen, that is based on only one post - an Apple LC case, put into intense high-heat sun.

Anyway, I'd never attempt this on something I really care about - and a severely yellowed item is something I wouldn't care about in the first place. I suspect sun alone would not make something as brittle as something that was retrobrighted with peroxide.
    It's widely known and tested, and has far fewer side effects than the peroxide-accelerated versions. See Forum64.de (Google translate will change from German if you don't speak/read it).