Image Map Image Map

Thread: Troubleshooting a Tseng Labs et3000ax

Default Troubleshooting a Tseng Labs et3000ax

So I recently picked up this computer, it's got a 486-KVD Motherboard, an AMD AM-486 DX 40 CPU, and a Tseng Labs et3000ax Video Card. When I first booted it up, the screen looked all right, the only problem was that the CMOS battery was obviously dead. I pulled out all the extension cards, cleaned them with compressed air, and the computer and power supply too, and when everything put them back together, the screen looks like this:
    20190713_110554.jpg
    If I press F1, I get this:
    20190713_110600.jpg
    The keyboard works completely, the only issue seems to be the gpu. I tested the monitor on an old laptop I have lying and it works in VGA color mode. There is a jumper on the motherboard that switches between EGA/Mono or Color (default) http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archiv...kvd/486kvd.pdf. That didn't change anything either. The DIP switches on the Video Card are correctly set according to the monitor (Color 80x25 (IBM 85xx), I have an IBM 8515) ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/drivers/H.../et3000ax.html
    Is the video card dead? Any ideas of what I could do?
    20190713_113246.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andrei View Post
    So I recently picked up this computer, it's got a 486-KVD Motherboard, an AMD AM-486 DX 40 CPU, and a Tseng Labs et3000ax Video Card. When I first booted it up, the screen looked all right, the only problem was that the CMOS battery was obviously dead. I pulled out all the extension cards, cleaned them with compressed air, and the computer and power supply too, and when everything put them back together, the screen looks like this:
    20190713_110554.jpg
    If I press F1, I get this:
    20190713_110600.jpg
    The keyboard works completely, the only issue seems to be the gpu. I tested the monitor on an old laptop I have lying and it works in VGA color mode. There is a jumper on the motherboard that switches between EGA/Mono or Color (default) http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archiv...kvd/486kvd.pdf. That didn't change anything either. The DIP switches on the Video Card are correctly set according to the monitor (Color 80x25 (IBM 85xx), I have an IBM 8515) ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/drivers/H.../et3000ax.html
    Is the video card dead? Any ideas of what I could do?
    20190713_113246.jpg
    Did you replace the CMOS battery? If not, you need to do so.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Not yet, but I will soon. Do you think it will solve the graphics issues too?

I did change it, and now I am greeted by this:20190714_221205.jpg
    20190714_221141.jpg

Do you have another ISA VGA card you can try so you can eliminate the TSENG as the variable?
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
    Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

Blog Entries

Hopefully the battery was a good one? I would pull all of the cards and clean the contacts, gently, with a pencil eraser. Reinstall the cards and make sure that they are firmly in their sockets and not just jammed. Pull, clean and reset the RAM. Hard to tell at this point what the status of the video card is. Do you have access to another video card, or can you install the card in another PC - possibly a friend's?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting