Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Not really HW but Compaq Slotted/Torx Dual Drive Screws

  1. #1

    Default Not really HW but Compaq Slotted/Torx Dual Drive Screws

    Hello All,

    In the middle of a restoration project with a Compaq and I am in need of replacement screws. According to Wikipedia these screws were used in electronics manufacturing for awhile. In fact wiki sites Compaq as a main example. So the question I have is anyone know where I can procure some DOUBLE DRIVE screws?

    1280px-TORX_T25-Slot_Dual_Drive.jpg

    I can easily find machine torx plus cap screws but would like to match the double drive nature if it can be done.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    32,237
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    Were these the ones used for drive mounting? That is, you screwed them into the disk/floppy/CD drive and then slid the unit into a plastic chassis-mounted retainer (usually green).

    I've never noticed if they were slotted in addition to being Torx.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Were these the ones used for drive mounting? That is, you screwed them into the disk/floppy/CD drive and then slid the unit into a plastic chassis-mounted retainer (usually green).

    I've never noticed if they were slotted in addition to being Torx.
    Chuck,

    That is actually the one place I had not checked. So I just did and the green sleds are held in by regular Torx screws. These are used to install the outside accessible drives (e.g. floppy, tape, etc.) and to secure in the expansion cards and the HDD bay cover. I think the user "serviceable" areas used the dual drive and the service area used regular torx.

    I guess back in the 90s people didn't have torx bits handy?
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

  4. #4

    Default

    I guess while asking for screws I may as well as for the green sleds as well. I have only one and need more to install additional drives. Anyone have nay idea what systems used the green sleds?

    Thanks.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    I guess back in the 90s people didn't have torx bits handy?
    In the 90s, most people needing them had Torx™ drivers. But the 5 Chinese sets with a dozen each of 5, 6, 7 lobe, and 5, 6, and 7 lobe security drivers weren't available yet.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    In the 90s, most people needing them had Torx™ drivers. But the 5 Chinese sets with a dozen each of 5, 6, 7 lobe, and 5, 6, and 7 lobe security drivers weren't available yet.
    Oooohh I like how you properly capitalized and trade marked it!

    Well Semblex advertises a dual drive screw that sounds right. I have an email out to them to see if the screws are readily available or need to be ordered in quantity of a few thousand... Or maybe I can get a few samples.

    But realistically I think I have to see if anyone is scrapping a Compaq and get it for parts.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    Anyone have nay idea what systems used the green sleds?
    I have several drives from Dells that have green sleds (rails).
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I have several drives from Dells that have green sleds (rails).
    I have some green sleds from Dell my self but I don't believe they are compatible (at least mine are not). Here are the Compaq ones:

    Compaq Sled 1.jpg

    Compaq Sled 2.jpg
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    32,237
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    No, the "green sleds" that I was talking about were permanently installed. You just installed the cheese-head Torx screws right into the drive body and the screwheads would slide in the slots in the green holders. e.g. Compaq EN Deskpro server series. video here. Spare screws were installed in the chassis; both M4 and 6-32; about 10 of each. So you never lost any.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    No, the "green sleds" that I was talking about were permanently installed. You just installed the cheese-head Torx screws right into the drive body and the screwheads would slide in the slots in the green holders. e.g. Compaq EN Deskpro server series. video here. Spare screws were installed in the chassis; both M4 and 6-32; about 10 of each. So you never lost any.
    No, definitely different on this system. This is a SystemPro/XL. I had heard about the extra screws in other Compaq and HP systems (e.g. extra screws mounted on the back of the PSU) but this one has none that I can see.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •