Image Map Image Map

Thread: Modern Portable/Luggable case?

Default Modern Portable/Luggable case?

I was just curious if anyone knew of a modern portable/luggable computer or case for sale that would accept an ATX motherboard. I'm not a big fan of laptops because of cramped keyboards, proprietary parts, and almost no expandability. I am always using a desktop but it would be nice to be able to essentially have a full desktop with built in screen I can take on the go. Just curious because I have a few nice modern boards without cases amd I'd love to have something like a modern Dolch or Compaq Portable 3. I've seen a couple online but they seem to be meant for very specific purposes and are thousands of dollars for an empty case

Blog Entries

The only activity I've seen in this area is DIY'ers building a PC into a Pelican case -- no screen, but you could probably figure out a way to attach one to the inside of the lid. The actual cases that have LCDs built into the side are marketed for military applications and, as you found, cost a bundle.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

Portable-PC cases are very application specific because of the (relative) low cost of ruggedized laptops, as Trixter pointed out.
    I'm sure there's a few OEM's that sell barebones case/screen assemblies to public/commercial entities but expect to be paying several hundred dollars still.
    = Excellent space heater

I bought a Dell 7000 17" laptop and the keyboard, except for the space bar and arrow cluster between the number pad and the main keyboard is full-size. Has USB-C so can add a dock with extra functionality.

the modern luggable is a laptop, just one on the high end of the size/weight scale. "portable workstation" is one of the names used for these larger high-power laptops. I have a Dell Precision M6700 which still has a lot of room for additional expansion -- only half my RAM sockets are currently used, and I still have an empty drive bay I can fill. I may have already maxed out the system's video capability by upgrading the Quadro K3000M video card to a K5000M; further video upgrades may require a new laptop.

if you really want your desktop to be portable (and you're willing to give up the built-in screen and keyboard) they make carry straps that you can use to add a handle to your PC. In my experience these are typically used for LAN parties.

Blog Entries

cooler master haf.jpg

Built in handles, takes ATX.

Not sure, but before rugged laptops (Toughbooks) came about I think the military had some portable desktops for whatever field use.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems