Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Websites tracking conversations through your phone's mic... What about your PC?

Default Websites tracking conversations through your phone's mic... What about your PC?

I've never owned a Windows 10 computer or a smartphone in my life, thank goodness. But is there any evidence that websites are listening to words you say for ad targeting from your laptop's mic or the mic plugged into your desktop computer, regardless of your OS? I've heard people have freaked out when they were discussing a product, lets say a washing machine for example with their friends and then they see ads for washing machines on their smartphone. Does the same thing happen with your PC? I personally have never noticed any creepy ads on my own computers after talking with my friends hanging out at my apartment. I only notice ads based on recent searches I typed in on websites from my keyboard, but that is stopped (best to my knowledge) when you install Adblock.

Blog Entries

not seen any evidence, but on windows/10 when enabled cortana must listen all the time for the wakeup call.
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Blog Entries

Evidence that some of the home ordering helper tools record and follow information? Yes.

Evidence that some are trying to include microphone tools to make sure that programs aren't used incorrectly? Yes. Some football phone app would observe the microphone and try to make sure that the private viewing app was not be misused by a bar or other large commercial gathering.

Websites themselves? No. Not that they won't try but websites are not as effective as apps for this.

Want absurdly scary? https://www.wired.com/2017/05/hundre...ons-cant-hear/

I just think about something and a relevant video appears on my YouTube "recommended" list. No idea how they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    I've heard people have freaked out when they were discussing a product, lets say a washing machine for example with their friends and then they see ads for washing machines on their smartphone.
    I've never had that happen to me nor have I had any firsthand reports from people I know that it's happened to them either. Until that happens I'm not going to worry about it.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I've never had that happen to me nor have I had any firsthand reports from people I know that it's happened to them either. Until that happens I'm not going to worry about it.
    Here's a firsthand report from someone you know - yes, it totally does happen, I've observed it with family members who own smartphones multiple times. Whether it's conspiracy or coincidence, I couldn't tell you, but we've definitely observed it in my house.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Blog Entries

FWIW, in my experience if one sets Google to 'Sync', you'll gets ads (or whatever) on your cell phone.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

What really happens is that Android and google chrome send information about your browsing preferences to your database, which allows them to classify your taste and what you see on the internet, this information is valuable for companies that want to sell

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    That's not scary, that's called "networking". Your computer and phone have been doing that for decades; they just don't use an air-gapped protocol like the article's mentioned applications do.

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    Here's a firsthand report from someone you know - yes, it totally does happen, I've observed it with family members who own smartphones multiple times. Whether it's conspiracy or coincidence, I couldn't tell you, but we've definitely observed it in my house.
    Occam's Razor applies here. For example, people are very likely to talk about things that they looked up on their phone up to 48 hours earlier, but forgot they did so. So they'll talk about it, then check their phone, and the searches they performed a day ago finally result in some targeted advertising. Correlation != causation.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Occam's Razor applies here. For example, people are very likely to talk about things that they looked up on their phone up to 48 hours earlier, but forgot they did so. So they'll talk about it, then check their phone, and the searches they performed a day ago finally result in some targeted advertising. Correlation != causation.
    You're making a lot of sense with this discussion.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step