Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unisys Icon Terminals x3 with server , tons of software and manuals

Default Unisys Icon Terminals x3 with server , tons of software and manuals

I inherited 3 Unisys Icon 2 terminals with lexicon server and a boxes of software and manuals. I don't know how to setup the systems but I did power on the server and it boots up but need the HDD to be configured through bios. Lots of software and manuals in boxes as well

If someone is interested I am located in Toronto Canada for pickup

Can you post pictures of these? Especially the software & manuals if it shows anything interesting. I went to school in Ontario and have vague memories of using them in the classroom, but literally haven't seen one since they got removed from the schools in the '90s. I had no idea a complete setup with the server still existed! Hope someone gives them a good home.

Blog Entries

There are some nice photos here ICON 2 and 3

Anyone collect the older UNISCOPE terminals?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Are you sure that's the right link? It's a still photo playing the First Man soundtrack.

Anyone collect the older UNISCOPE terminals?
    I've seen some on ebay and scraped pics here: https://terminals-wiki.org/wiki/inde...y_Uniscope_100

Blog Entries

Shoot, can't find it now, although there's a good run-down of the Icon 2 here

I take it that the Icon terminals were fairly popular in Canada.

I suspect that many Uniscopes have been savaged for the keyboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I take it that the Icon terminals were fairly popular in Canada.
    As far as I know, they were only used in Ontario high-schools (maybe a few elementary schools). After they were pulled out of the schools, most were destroyed. Now they're unbelievably rare - especially the original Burroughs Icon with the brown keys. After decades of searching, I have never seen any original Icon for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by nomiszzz View Post
    I inherited 3 Unisys Icon 2 terminals with lexicon server and a boxes of software and manuals. I don't know how to setup the systems but I did power on the server and it boots up but need the HDD to be configured through bios. Lots of software and manuals in boxes as well
    PM sent. I would love a shot at this and to try to get the system running again.

Edit: You can also contact me at my website noted below.
    Last edited by snuci; July 22nd, 2019 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Amiga500 View Post
    As far as I know, they were only used in Ontario high-schools (maybe a few elementary schools). After they were pulled out of the schools, most were destroyed. Now they're unbelievably rare - especially the original Burroughs Icon with the brown keys. After decades of searching, I have never seen any original Icon for sale.
    My elementary school had them, well into the '90s so they may have been hand-me-downs from a high school that upgraded. :P I distinctly remember the one in my grade 5 or 6 class being an Icon 1.

There are a few of them out there, but virtually all of the photos you see of them are turned off - probably because an Icon on its own is a lot easier to get hold of than the server & any of the software! AFAIK the desktop machines had no local storage at all - everything was on the server, so without that they don't do much.

I would absolutely love to see a web page or video that goes deeper into the software that was available on these. I think there was a fairly big library for them back in the day, but it's been really poorly preserved. I don't even think they've been emulated yet. Hundreds of thousands of schoolkids grew up messing with them so I'd figure there'd be at least a fair bit of interest.

If anyone here gets this (Snuci!) please figure out a way to dump the disks!

Quote Originally Posted by xjas View Post
    If anyone here gets this (Snuci!) please figure out a way to dump the disks!
    I have a Kryoflux so I'll be able to archive the disks. I will definitely try to get it going and put it up on my website if I am able to acquire the lot. As I work in higher education, the intersection of Canadian vintage computing and education is important for me to preserve.

Quote Originally Posted by xjas View Post
    My elementary school had them, well into the '90s so they may have been hand-me-downs from a high school that upgraded. :P I distinctly remember the one in my grade 5 or 6 class being an Icon 1.
    Are you saying your elementary school in B.C. had them?? If so, that would be very weird. (maybe you were in Ontario then)

I used a Burroughs Icon for one high school computer class in 1987 (and wrote a game that was quite popular). I never saw (or heard of) the later Icon versions until decades later.