Image Map Image Map

Thread: Another W10 Upgrade Annoyance

Blog Entries

Default Another W10 Upgrade Annoyance

If you recently upgraded to W10 1903 and experience a blurry login screen, here's the fix:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-d...windows10_1903

Late edit: Disregard above - it worked once then reverted.

Another late edit:

Just slid in under the 15 minute rule - phew! Okay, bouncing around the the group policy editor (gpedit.msc) or the registry didn't get it done for me. This works: Open Settings > Personalization > Colors. Turn off "Transparency Effects".

Question: Why would some programmer at MS ever think this was ever a good idea to have a blurred log-in screen?
    Last edited by Agent Orange; July 16th, 2019 at 01:30 PM.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Microsoft has always made efforts to make sure the logon screen is not so easily faked. Requiring C-A-D is one of these, I don't know if this is. I don't know what the big deal is- it's just a visual effect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rittwage View Post
    Microsoft has always made efforts to make sure the logon screen is not so easily faked. Requiring C-A-D is one of these, I don't know if this is. I don't know what the big deal is- it's just a visual effect.
    It's not a big deal. Do you classify a blur as visual effect? So, I guess you're okay with it. I'm not up on MS's "faked" log-in screens. Password must account for something.

Blog Entries

The idea is to blur/darken all the surrounding windows which is something a normal fake program can't do giving a clear indication that the login prompt is authentic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    The idea is to blur/darken all the surrounding windows which is something a normal fake program can't do giving a clear indication that the login prompt is authentic.
    Are you particularly worried, in your own home, about a fake login screen on one of your personal computers?

As I stated above, it's not a big deal. It just another thing, not very well thought out in my estimation, that MS has foisted upon the casual user. After enough complaints in their direction, they acquiesced.
    Last edited by Agent Orange; July 16th, 2019 at 04:54 PM.

It's been a few years since I programmed anything in Windows, but I don't see why it would be difficult to do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    It's been a few years since I programmed anything in Windows, but I don't see why it would be difficult to do.
    It should be a lot harder to change the look of other windows than putting up a generic dialog box like NT did. This was partially made necessary by Windows 10 being able to incorporate apps on the lock screen. A distinctive change that can only be done by a system utility should minimize the chances of credential stealing by rogue store apps.

I don't exactly understand why anyone would want to place as much information as these apps provide on the lock screen. Having a phone announce a call, alright, but leaving the contents of confidential messages exposed to all the world runs counter to the idea of having locked the system.

It should be a lot harder to change the look of other windows than putting up a generic dialog box like NT did. This was partially made necessary by Windows 10 being able to incorporate apps on the lock screen. A distinctive change that can only be done by a system utility should minimize the chances of credential stealing by rogue store apps.

I don't exactly understand why anyone would want to place as much information as these apps provide on the lock screen. Having a phone announce a call, alright, but leaving the contents of confidential messages exposed to all the world runs counter to the idea of having locked the system.
    All you do is copy the whole screen buffer into a borderless window and manipulate it however you like. You don't have to alter the existing windows.

Yeah, novelty applications that manipulate the entire desktop (or appear to) are as old as the hills.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup