Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: put an HD into a Mac SE

Default put an HD into a Mac SE

Hi people,

I have a Mac SE with 2 floppy drives, and an external (scsi?) HDD. The MAC works fine with this external hd box, booting from it.

I was wondering if I can pick up the HD and put it directly inside the mac, avoiding the annoying external box...

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-20 at 19.51.51 (2).jpgWhatsApp Image 2019-06-20 at 19.51.51 (1).jpgWhatsApp Image 2019-06-20 at 19.51.51.jpg

I've seen there's a connector for a flat cable behind the external scsi port, so I suppose I simply can buy a scsi flat cable and connect there the HDD...
    ...but I've also seen there's a plug on the secondary scsi exit of the external box... what should I do with it?

--Giovi

Yes, there is an internal 50 pin scsi connector for internal HDD. You'll have to find the mounting bracket that screws into the FDD drive bracket to secure the HDD inside the case. And do terminate the drive.

Blog Entries

It has been a while since I looked into my SE's, and the metal cage is slightly different between the SE and the SE FDHD, but there might be a way to mount a thinner drive on top of the dual floppy models.

This shows a 3rd party bracket and a normal sized drive in a dual floppy SE:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/23/0e...2acefc0ba5.jpg

Notice there is barely any room between the HD and the board going to the screen.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by dorkbert View Post
    Yes, there is an internal 50 pin scsi connector for internal HDD. You'll have to find the mounting bracket that screws into the FDD drive bracket to secure the HDD inside the case. And do terminate the drive.
    can you give me more info about how to terminate the drive? How should I do that, if I'm using a normal flat cable?

Quote Originally Posted by giobbi View Post
    can you give me more info about how to terminate the drive? How should I do that, if I'm using a normal flat cable?
    Either with a terminator pack fit to a connector after the drive (opposite end of chain from controller), or with terminating resistors on the drive. The drive may have a jumper to turn on inbuilt termination.

There should be terminating resistors on each end of the chain and nowhere in the middle.

I've seen there are terminator packs that fit the scsi connector on the back... can I connect the drive with a 2 connectors flat cable into the inner port, and put the terminator pack in the scsi port on the back?

More: I've seen there are "active" and "passive" terminator packs... what should I buy?

--Giovi

That will work if your drive has termination and if the controller is in the middle of the chain like most such SCSI controllers on other systems. Again I'll stress that terminators need to be at each end of the chain and nowhere in between. There should never be more or less than two terminators. Termination built onto a drive is the same as a terminator on a cable after the drive.

You can use either kind of terminator in this case, but it's always better to use active termination.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    It has been a while since I looked into my SE's, and the metal cage is slightly different between the SE and the SE FDHD, but there might be a way to mount a thinner drive on top of the dual floppy models.

This shows a 3rd party bracket and a normal sized drive in a dual floppy SE:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/23/0e...2acefc0ba5.jpg

Notice there is barely any room between the HD and the board going to the screen.

Yes - various bracketry exists to put a hard drive in a dual-floppy SE. I don't know if that was actually a real Apple option or only third party. I have one machine so equipped. It's got the FDHD motherboard, so I have one 1.4M drive and one 800K drive, so I can pretty much make any Mac or 3.5 ProDOS floppy I need

something like this should work.

Something went wrong, I don't know what, exactly.

I took the flat scsi cable from the external HDD box, I left the terminator pack connector at one side of the flat cable, put a motherboard-compatible connector on the other side and plugged the hard disk at the connector in the middle of the flat cable. This way:

MAC (Motherboard connector) === HDD === TERMINATOR PACK

The Mac doesn't detect the HDD, asking for the floppy disk.

I'm sure the Mac booted with the same HDD into the external box, plugged at the external SCSI port.

Is there any jumper or setting I should change (mac or hdd) to boot from HDD?