Image Map Image Map

Thread: HP 9000 Series 300 Help?

Default HP 9000 Series 300 Help?

Hello,

This is my first post, so I apologize if it's in the wrong forum.

I was given an HP 9000 Series 300 computer (310, 98561-66525 processor board to be specific) and I'd like to get it up and running. It came with several 256K memory boards installed but nothing else. It powers up and seems to be working just fine...well, maybe.

When I connect it to my old Zenith Data Systems ZVM-121 monochrome video monitor, I can see the information displayed from the processor board, but there are three columns of the same information!

2019-07-17 10.05.39.jpg2019-07-17 10.05.21.jpg

From my research, I understand that the 310's with medium monochrome video output at 512x400x1, but I can't seem to find the sync rate, other information regarding the output format.

So, do I have a monitor problem or a processor board problem? Or both?!

I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks in advance,

Cliff

Hi Cliff, congrats on the running 310!

I'm not sure about the video specs, but you should be able to get this machine running with a serial console. An FAQ I've had open for a while indicates you should be able to enable this with a jumper. Might need to get the docs for the 310 from this page at the HP Computer Museum, if you don't have them already.

Good luck!

If you have an LCD that does sync on green like an NEC MultiSync LCD1990SX, you might be able to connect it and get output. Iíve been able to do so with an HP 9000-332, whose onboard video also does 512x400 mono by default. (I just connected the mono output to the green BNC on a 3xBNC-to-VGA cable.)