Image Map Image Map

Thread: CRC command issue

Default CRC command issue

I've been playing with the Epson PX-8 I got from a guy here and it is a pretty sweet machine. I am having a couple of odd issues though I wondered if someone knows about. Both issues happen on actual hardware and also the PX-8 emulator for win32, so I don't think it is a hard ware issue.

The first is I found a tool called CRC.COM that identities itself as CRCK 5.0 or something. In other emulators it supports crc *.* and will calculate a crc on all files that match, but on the PX-8, it shows the first file that matches and then stops on the one file. Any idea why?

Also found a directory tool called D.COM that shows a directory with file sizes. It leaves off the first letter of some file extensions. Instead of STAT COM it will show STAT OM for example. Also any idea why?

Not sure what the issues is with your CRC.COM utility is. Can you try it on another CP/M machine or post a copy of it here for others to try?

Regarding your directory tool, D.COM, I suspect it's not handling the attribute bit of some files. IIRC, the read only attribute is the high bit of the first letter of the file name extension. Try using D.COM to displaying some files when they are read only and again when they are set read write. If you have the source code you could fix either D or the PX-8's CP/M BIOS by forcing the display character routine to mask of the high bit of each character being displayed.
    CP/M-86 Software Repository www.eolith.co.uk

You are right about the attributes - those files have the R/O on them.

Attaching CRC.COM - I think I tried it in a cp/m emulator and it did work on multiple files.

crc.zip

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by alank2 View Post
    You are right about the attributes - those files have the R/O on them.

Attaching CRC.COM - I think I tried it in a cp/m emulator and it did work on multiple files.

crc.zip
    I can confirm that it works with multiple files on z80pack.

It could be a particular file that is tripping up CRCK, either its too big and taking too long or there is a bug in CRCK that is being trigged by a certain file. You could try and narrow it down by running it on a subset of files such as: CRC A*.*, or CRC *.COM, etc

Same result on a wildcard like a*.*, or even on a different drive. I wonder if there is a bug in the CP/M 2.2 in the PX-8 bios, but other directory tools work...