Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of working IBM 5150?

Default Value of working IBM 5150?

So, I've recently come into some unexpected tax return money a little over $300 Canadian worth, and I've always wanted a 5150, but I wonder could I get a working one within the price range? Is it a realistic expectation?
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

I'd imagine you could get an entire working system with monitor and keyboard for that much, even on ebay. I'd expect to pay quite a bit less if you can find one locally to buy.

I don't know what they sell for in canada but a later model 5150 minus original keyboard / monitor or one with non-original keyboard / monitor, The original keyboards and monitors fetch a pretty penny on their own these days, It's not an Unrealistic expectation, Keep looking

Quote Originally Posted by ScanDisk View Post
    So, I've recently come into some unexpected tax return money a little over $300 Canadian worth, and I've always wanted a 5150, but I wonder could I get a working one within the price range? Is it a realistic expectation?
    I live in Plattsburgh (60 miles south of Montreal) and I have a 5150, 640k, keyboard, color display, graphics printer, expansion unit with 20 meg hard disks loaded with original IBM expansion cards such as the Async Comm, Sync Comm, Printer, Joystick, SDLC. I have a slew of software in original binders and I wouldn't sell this for anything less than a $1,500.
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
    Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

Blog Entries

Original Keyboards and monitors in working condition command some decent many, but a non 64k not exactly as shipped 5150 machine can be had for that kind of money easy.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

I've had 3 5150's, one was $100, one $150, and one $20 all working fine with monitors, keyboards, and manuals. I'd recommend the 5160, in my opinion it's far superior if you actually want to use it, I've had all sorts of weird compatibility issues with my 5150s but none with my 5160

Blog Entries

People want the original IBM just like they want the original Mac. Both systems are not that usable but very collectable.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

want to re-live how slow the original PC was?

Quote Originally Posted by sev View Post
    want to re-live how slow the original PC was?
    Exactly. It's always amazing to me, starting from a cassette-based TRS-80 Model I, or a Prime 8080-based minicomputer, through the years to where people use smartphones instead of desktops. I wrote my dissertation on a Compaq DeskPro AT-class machine, but wrote my first macro assembler program on an IBM 5160. The 5150 is an awesome machine, under powered compared to the competition, but having the IBM name on it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScanDisk View Post
    Yes, it's realistic (including keyboard and monitor), but only if you can avoid shipping. Search ebay for products that are within a 50-mile radius so you can drive to pick them up, or check local forsale listings (I don't think craigslist covers Canada?).
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)