Image Map Image Map

Thread: Model F Keyboard wiring variant??

Default Model F Keyboard wiring variant??

Hi Everyone,
    I got an IBM Model F keyboard that had its DIN connector cut off long ago. I was going to solder a new one on referencing this site:
    http://www.brutman.com/IBM_PC_Keyboa...ug_Repair.html
    But mine has an additional green wire between the red and brown wires. Which pin should I solder it too? Should I also solder the outer shielding wires to the DIN housing?
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Atari Falcon030, Atari MSTE, Atari PS3000, STACY 4, 4160STE-CosmosEX, Atari PC1, 400/800/1200XL,800XL,800XE,130XE, XEGS, Apple IIGS, TRS-80 4P, TI 99/4A, Co-Co 3, Amiga 500, C64/128D

It is the reset line. It goes to pin 3 in the DIN connector (the pin opposite CLOCK). I verified that by opening up one of my 83-key keyboards.

Refer to [here]. The early version of the 83-key keyboards were hardware reset by the motherboard.

Do not assume that the green wire means that you have an early version of the 83-key keyboard. In the 83-key keyboard that I opened, even though the cable had the green reset wire present in the cable, the circuit board in the keyboard was of the later type (it hardware resets itself).

Quote Originally Posted by KLund1 View Post
    Should I also solder the outer shielding wires to the DIN housing?
    That is what IBM has done on my keyboard.