Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me chose the right wireless pci-e card for a customer

Default Please help me choose the right wireless pci-e card for a customer

My customer has his WiFi router on the 1st floor of his house. He wants to use his desktop computer in the office room on the 3rd floor. I am looking at different pci-e wireless cards on Ebay right now. I typed in "pcie wifi" into the search bar. The ones I see first are going for around $17 and under. He wants the most inexpensive one I can find that works for his needs. Budget is max $20. The cards I see in the search results have two or three antennas and they are anywhere from 300mbps to 1200mbs. Which one should I buy for my customer? (He's paying me back) Do I need a card with a higher mbps rating in order to reach the 3rd story of his house, or does it not matter? Do I need a card with two antennas or three? He's not a gamer, just a regular online user, so I don't think he needs the fastest card. I appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by computerdude92; July 19th, 2019 at 09:41 PM.

Blog Entries

It would help to know what the router is. That would determine the maximum speed that the wireless card would get and the maximum range the signal can be expected to reach. I think the setup proposed would be right at the range limits for 5GHz signals so looking for the longer ranged 2.4GHz antennas seems prudent. Unfortunately, 2.4 GHz signals can be disrupted by a microwave so the office network stops working over lunch.

Faster cards are supposed to slow down and handle earlier revisions of the standard. Make sure that is the case with cards you are looking at. Would not look good to buy the perfect value card only to discover it doesn't like the specific standard supported by the router.

Dual antenna cards tend to support both major frequencies so that might be a better choice. Choose which antenna gives the best performance at the site.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    My customer has his WiFi router on the 1st floor of his house. He wants to use his desktop computer in the office room on the 3rd floor. I am looking at different pci-e wireless cards on Ebay right now. I typed in "pcie wifi" into the search bar. The ones I see first are going for around $17 and under. He wants the most inexpensive one I can find that works for his needs. Budget is max $20. The cards I see in the search results have two or three antennas and they are anywhere from 300mbps to 1200mbs. Which one should I buy for my customer? (He's paying me back) Do I need a card with a higher mbps rating in order to reach the 3rd story of his house, or does it not matter? Do I need a card with two antennas or three? He's not a gamer, just a regular online user, so I don't think he needs the fastest card. I appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks guys.
    Third floor may be a big ask. Here in my Holiday House in Spain the WiFi router is near the ceiling on what you would call the first floor and I get a very poor (i.e. unusable) signal on the Terrace, which is at the same level as the third. and I had to install a range extender. However, in Spain the floors are generally made from reinforced concrete beams with drop-in blocks which I imagine is pretty good at shielding RF.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...ig16_272150682

so if your building has wooden floors you might be lucky, have you checked the signal strength with a mobile phone or laptop? If it is low something like a TP Link Range extender might be needed...

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC750...dp/B07N1WW638/
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

I went with one of these. It claims a signal range of 30 to 100 meters... Cheap price and it appears to be a good choice. If not, I'll return it. Buying this stuff locally is much more expensive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC600Mb-USB...72.m2749.l2649

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    I went with one of these. It claims a signal range of 30 to 100 meters... Cheap price and it appears to be a good choice. If not, I'll return it. Buying this stuff locally is much more expensive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC600Mb-USB...72.m2749.l2649
    I would be careful of this one two reasons most likely not in the USA and feedback not to good..

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...s=negative_365
    Never Bin or sell your old computer's you will regret it!!
    Vic 20 x3,C64 x2,128D,C128 flat deck,A1000 x2,A500 x3,A2000,A600,A1200,Apple ][e,2x Apple][ GS rom 01,03,Apple ][c x4 with only 1 PSU,2x Laser 128EX EX2,Atari 600XL,2x 800XL,130XE w/320 mod With a MyIDE plus,Atari 1040stf w/2.5meg..

Look here: https://www.digi-chip.com/search.html?keyword=pci-e, there may be what you want

I'd recommend using a powerline ethernet adapter than spend a bunch of money trying to make an unreliable wireless signal work.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    I'd recommend using a powerline ethernet adapter than spend a bunch of money trying to make an unreliable wireless signal work.
    Id agree with this as well except for two things. One is that it's unlikely to find one under the $20 requirement. Second, with it being a few floors away, if the power is split, that might not work (or be too slow).
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

You can get a pair of powerline ethernet adapters on Amazon for under $40, and they'll be a hell of a lot more reliable than wireless.

And as long as the entire house is on the same distribution panel, the powerline ethernet adapters will work fine. I've deployed them on 2-3 story houses without any issues.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWRUICG/

$35 for a pretty much guaranteed working setup is much better than a $20 probably won't work wifi adapter.

Blog Entries

Or put a repeater on the second floor, if possible.

What practical speed is his service? Could be that a simple USB Wifi dongle would work.