Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ST-225 speed up and down?

Blog Entries

Other things that will cause the spindle motor to shut down without restarting include a bad servo track on drives that use that positioning technology. The drive is then essentially trash, as there's no way for the hobbyist to rewrite a servo track.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Other things that will cause the spindle motor to shut down without restarting include a bad servo track on drives that use that positioning technology. The drive is then essentially trash, as there's no way for the hobbyist to rewrite a servo track.
    On MFM drives? Isn't that what we have here?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

This is the 225. While it does have an onboard microcontroller it does little to monitor drive health. It also has no comprehension of what pre-existing data might be on select tracks or regions for calibration and relies heavily on the host controller to make those decisions. It doesn't even have the smarts to auto-park yet, let alone blink the LED if it detects a fault. I still blame a thermal issue with something in the motor drive circuit, or the DC-UNSAFE trigger is resetting the microcontroller and perhaps it's spin cycling?
    = Excellent space heater

Well it looks like replies are all over the place.

More info, drive sounds fine when running. I had another st-225 and have install it. It runs fine in the system. Feeling like the drive is OK I going to keep the drive and keep my eye on finding another ST-225 that I can use the controller board.

I was hoping it might be a known problem. Thanks for all the replies it helps confirm what to do.

framer