Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebay 'offer'

Blog Entries

Default Ebay 'offer'

Does this sound credible to you:

I participated in an auction for a rare bit of vintage gear. The bidder that won had a bid in before me and incremental bids I made against it didn't prevail. I backed off after reaching a certain dollar amount.

Anyway, lost that one, then seconds later I'm getting a second chance offer from seller saying he has an identical piece that he'd be willing to sell me for my last bid.

Kinda odd. I have seen sellers with doubles of rare stuff before, like my Keyedit terminal. But this item is the kind of thing you'd be lucky to see one of. I'm wondering if I'm being played. You know.. have a shill bidder nuke the bid, see how high competing bids go, then decide if you're comfortable selling at that price. The winning bidder wasn't zero feedback or anything.. but still..

He says he won't auction it before hearing from me. I kinda feel like I should let him auction it anyway. If it weren't for my bids (there were only four bidders and only myself and the winner were competing in the end) it would have sold at a much lower price... I'd be effectively paying for bidding against myself here.
    Last edited by falter; July 20th, 2019 at 10:38 AM.

I believe if you purchase it outside of an Official eBay Listing you are going to be on your own if you get screwed.

Blog Entries

When this sort of thing comes up, some sellers create a listing with a very high BIN and accept whatever offer that has been previously agreed upon.

But it depends on the item and the nature of the transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    He says he won't auction it before hearing from me. I kinda feel like I should let him auction it anyway. If it weren't for my bids (there were only four bidders and only myself and the winner were competing in the end) it would have sold at a much lower price... I'd be effectively paying for bidding against myself here.
    Let him put it up
    If the others bidders were significantly lower, there is a high probability it won't sell for as much
    unless the first buyer wants to hoard them all

It's a good way for the seller to avoid paying the eBay tax, though that is really not in the spirit of the concept. Ask her to send picture of the item with today's newspaper.

Kind of irrelevant: if the original winner was a shill, then the item still exists, just at a highly inflated price.

This too is meaningless, because the price being offered to the OP is the price he was willing to pay.

Is the second chance offer official and through eBay? I think there is an option for sellers to do this. They sell the item, but they have more than one. Then they can make an offer to other high bidders without going through the whole bidding process. If it is through eBay, then it is legit. If it is through their messaging and not official, that is a whole different thing.

Yes. It's an option available to the seller in the event that the winning bidder turns out to be a deadbeat.

Blog Entries

Yes it's being done through the official second chance offer system.

Based on the bidding history, if I had abstained, the item would have sold for about $90 less than it went for.

Yeah, I don't think this is to avoid ebay fees, it's still part of ebay so still has all the safety stuff. I personally would just let it go to auction since it does seem a little suspicious. While its true that it is still the amount you'd be willing to pay, it might not be the amount you'd have to pay. It could be legit, but it could also be a case of a seller wanting to get the most he can possibly get and a fake bidder could be the best way to do that.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA