Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ebay 'offer'

I'm a little confused. I've heard of the second chance thing for the SAME item when a high bidder flakes out. But this is for a different, but "identical" item?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    I'm a little confused. I've heard of the second chance thing for the SAME item when a high bidder flakes out. But this is for a different, but "identical" item?
    Yeah, it works for both:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/li...offers?id=4142
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Blog Entries

I mean, the winner had a higher feedback than me, and the seller has great feedback. It just seems pretty incredible to me that the seller has two of these. To find one is pretty extraordinary.

Blog Entries

Simply ask how come he has two...
    ... also if lots of different bidders for first item its likely to go for a high some again so could be better to take the offer. If it was a two gun shoot out then if he lists you might get it cheaper...
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

No harm in asking for pictures of the second unit (the one you would get) either.

Quote Originally Posted by Towmater View Post
    It's a good way for the seller to avoid paying the eBay tax, though that is really not in the spirit of the concept. Ask her to send picture of the item with today's newspaper.
    I agree I have done this before. I am selling a bunch of apple II stuff now, so I send messages to the second or third place bidders asking if they still want it. I have sold a couple that way. I mean I sell a alot through ebay so its a minuscule amount I am talking about.They pay via paypal so they are protected and I forgo the ebay 10+% so its win-win. It doesn't mean they are shady necessarily. You certainly don't have to buy from them if you don't want to.

On another note, I ALWAYS send best offer messages to sellers on ebay even if they DO NOT have a best offer option. Many accept and some just send me an invoice from paypal rather than using ebay. I get it at the price I want, I am protected so I dont care. Honestly I have better luck dealing with Paypal's protection service than eBays anyway. But thats just me.
    Last edited by VERAULT; July 21st, 2019 at 10:56 AM.

Blog Entries

I got a bit busy so didn't really get time to ponder it. The seller has put the duplicate item up. Interestingly, the same bidder that won the first one is bidding on this one also.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    I got a bit busy so didn't really get time to ponder it. The seller has put the duplicate item up. Interestingly, the same bidder that won the first one is bidding on this one also.
    It kind of sounds like he is using a Shill Bidder, you might want to give eBay a call and report your suspicions.

Quote Originally Posted by Syclops View Post
    It kind of sounds like he is using a Shill Bidder, you might want to give eBay a call and report your suspicions.
    It would be interesting to bid on that the absolute minimum so you're ahead of any other bidders except that one guy and see if you get a 2nd chance offer again.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Yeah, it's shill.