Image Map Image Map

Thread: How much are old computers worth to you?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How much are old computers worth to you?

I wouldn't pay over $100 for any beige retro box minus the shipping cost, but that's just me. To me they are toys, I can play old games on them. Or they can be something I can use to run specific software I can't run well on an emulator or a modern PC. Or if they have a nice sound card, I can have fun with MIDI synth. How much do you think old computers are worth to you? Any era of computers applies.
    Last edited by computerdude92; July 21st, 2019 at 06:55 PM.

I wouldn't pay $10 for a "PC" clone. Well, that's not entirely true. I need one to bootstrap a computer that normally boots from tape, but the tape doesn't work anymore. So until someday when I can write my own software, I need a clone with a real RS232 port and MS-DOS to keep that running. So that one I might pay $100 for if I have to again.

Depends on the computer, doesn't it?
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicHasClass View Post
    Depends on the computer, doesn't it?
    Yeah, I think the more accurate question is 'Whats the MAX you'd pay for any vintage computer'. For me, that number is about $100. I'm not counting some crazy thing like I stumbled across an Imsai or an original Apple 1 or something for crazy low price, but for realistic purchases. Both my Tandy 1000 SX and my backup Atari ST were each around $100. I felt guilty spending $100 on the Tandy even though it was a good price and a nice computer. The ST was only purchased to help me fix my childhood ST, and I justified that by telling myself I'd sell it again after. I never did because my childhood one was so flaky that I really need the backup one. Obviously I wouldn't spend $100 on a C64 or a TI99 or Timex 1000 or something like that, though. Everything else I have was significantly less or free.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Blog Entries

Depends, there are a couple machines I still want that I would probably spend $100 on.

Over the last 18 years I don't think I have spend more then $100ish on any one individual vintage item (and that was rare), but many thousands on machines and parts over that time in upgrades and cards.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

I paid $300 for a Commodore pet 2001-8 from 1977. I do feel I over paid, but I really wanted that machine and I never see those come up for sale. Most things I try and get for the $50 to $75 mark. Commodore 64's I tell people to just give them to me as I wont pay at this point.

But again these things don't really have any value. Its value is what its worth to you the buyer.