Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much are old computers worth to you?

Blog Entries

From the start of my collecting I expected any money I put into it to be flushed down the toilet so I didn't pay much for any one particular item, didn't buy duplicates, and didn't try to speculate. I ended up with a collection I liked that spans many years.

I still buy things of interest cheap, but the items are a heck of a lot newer then when I started (mostly for gaming because I like GPU collecting).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    So reading RedRacers comment about reselling made me think about changing up the OPs question a bit, and that's how much you'd pay for a system under the assumption they were worth nothing in resale? Basically meaning items you have no intention to resell and you would likely die with. It's possible my amounts earlier are lower than others because i rarely sell off anything, and it's only stuff I've gotten with other stuff I've wanted (like a coco 2 i got with my model 4). I think that might clarify if you're really into this hobby as a regular hobby or as a investment hobby.
    The max you would pay for old/vintage PC's and stuff does apply for this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    From the start of my collecting I expected any money I put into it to be flushed down the toilet so I didn't pay much for any one particular item, didn't buy duplicates, and didn't try to speculate. I ended up with a collection I liked that spans many years.
    The only duplicates I have really are Apple IIe's and Commodore 64's, because they're like tribbles. It's slow to get your first one, but once you do, they just keep multiplying. The exception is a duplicate kaypro because the first one i got was unrepairable, and a second ti-99 because it came with the other one and they aren't really worth the effort to sell.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Blog Entries

I think everybody has a couple C64s. I have both styles C64 and C64c maybe 3 units plus 1541 drives and Commodore monitors when people were ditching them for free on freecycle. Funny how the supply of working units is down to where people will pay for the most produced model computer ever.

I should clarify I do have some duplicates like my 4-5 Quadra 950's but I only paid for maybe 2 of them and I love that machine. Once you have one then you get more picky about costs and free is free.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

I dunno sometimes. I'd rather pay as little as possible, and I have gotten some things for free/cheap over the years, but at the same time, it's okay for a hobby to cost money. I don't mind spending a bit on those things I really want, if they really make me happy.

I'm slowly trying to sell off bits of my collection that I don't do anything with to buy the things I do want. What's the point in hoarding hardware if you're never going to play with it?

Started collecting back in early 90's when friends, family and co-workers would throw stuff at me for free just to take it off their hands. Bought on eBay a few times in the early 2000's, and paid between $5 and $15 for a few units. Like Unknown_K, didn't want to pay much as expected it all to be just junk that no one else cared about but me.

Fast forward to 2012+ and things have gotten expensive. I buy entire units very seldom these days. Most I've ever paid was $100 just last week, which is $50 more than I've ever paid. It was for a Series A 5150 w/5151, original keyboard, docs/software, and Mouse Systems optical mouse. Was worth it to me to have an entire matching ensemble in one go.

I should be winnowing the collection like Lynn, but it's hard to convince the hoarder in me to let things go just yet.
    Wish List: TI Portable Professional Keyboard, Corona Portable PC keyboard cover
    Collection: Osborne 1; Compaq Portable, Plus, 286, III, 386, Deskpro 8086, 286, 386; Tandy 1000HX, 1000TX, 3000, TRS80-4P; Amiga 500; IBM PS/1, PS/2 Mod 25, 70, 80; IBM 5150, 5155, 5160; AT&T PC6300; Corona PPC-400; Epson HX-20; NEC Multispeed, PowerMate SX Plus; TI Portable Professional; Gateway 486DX2-66, P166; Alienware Pentium4; Packard Bell Celeron 400Mhz; Dell L550r PIII, Opti 745 Pentium D; Apple IIgs; Sun UltraSparc 10