Image Map Image Map

Thread: VIC20 Keyboard

Default VIC20 Keyboard

I have a new-to-me Commodore VIC-20. All of the keys on the keyboard do not seem to work. Any suggestions before I open it up? Clean contacts? New springs?

Thanks
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by BillLange1968 View Post
    I have a new-to-me Commodore VIC-20. All of the keys on the keyboard do not seem to work. Any suggestions before I open it up? Clean contacts? New springs?

Thanks
    Bill
    Its common to find the keys have poor response and/or individual non functioning keys on old Commodore keyboards which can be fixed by taking it apart and cleaning it but unusual to find it completely dead.

If you wanted to open it it's a very simple keyboard to dismantle, just undo all of the tiny screens and desolder the wires on the shift lock key. You can then pull the circuit board off (be careful of the shift lock key wires) and give it and the contacts a clean. However my gut feeling is it's probably not dirty contacts.

Don't forget to check the obvious - has someone taken the computer apart before and just forgotten to reconnect it?

If only some keys work or respond after repeated presses, a cleaning will probably help. Springs won't help, they just lift the key back up after you press it.
    If NO keys work at all, it's likely a bad chip. One of the 6522s is responsible for detecting keyboard input. UAB1 I think but it might be different depending on which revision you have.
    If both 6522s are socketed, you can try swapping them.

Or start by opening it up and making sure the keyboard isn't just disconnected.

To be more clear, I should have said "Some of the keys ..."

I will try opening it up, reseating any connectors and blowing out and debris I find in side. If no luck, I''' swap the 6522s and see if anything changes.

Thanks
    Bill