Image Map Image Map

Thread: Connecting a Needham EMP-20 eprom programmer to a modern laptop PC

Default Connecting a Needham EMP-20 eprom programmer to a modern laptop PC

I used to operate my Needham EMP 20 eprom programmer with an old desktop computer with CRT monitor, but that computer has been stored away from me a few years ago.

Now I need to program a few eprom, and I'm wondering if there's any way to connect the programmer to a modern laptop PC that has no parallel port.

I searched online and found there are USB-parallel cables, and also PCMCIA adapters. I wonder if these widgets world work for my use case, or what adapter should I be looking for?

Thanks,
    Andrea

Blog Entries

Apparently, it's somewhat doable
    Something for XP

My initial guess is that the PCMCIA adapter will work best, since you don't have to fool with the USB flummery.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); July 25th, 2019 at 06:37 AM.

Blog Entries

You might want to consider doing what I did with my Xeltec Superpro. I bought (very inexpensive) a used thin client with a real parallel port and loaded Win9x onto it. It's dedicated for the use of the Superpro.

I use the last generation of Dell P4 laptop that had a parallel port for this purpose.
    Actually, I bought a stack of these laptops to have an easily luggable parallel port
    when Weird Stuff blew them out at $15 ea.

It also lets me lug my prom reader around to whatever building I need to use it at.

The IBM Thinkpad T42 also works nicely.

I've never been able to use the EMP20 with anything but a "real" LPT. No luck with any of the Needham programmers and the USB<-->LPT adapters.

- Gary

How long did ExpressCard slots exist on laptops? Was that fairly short lived after parallel PCI CardBus slots and before card slots went away completely?

I have a SYBA SD-EXP50021 ExpressCard adapter which is based on the MosChip MCS9901 PCI-Express to Dual Serial and Single Parallel Controller. With a PCI-Express chip LPT interface I was able to get it to work with a parallel port device programmer when I tried it a few years ago. Looks like the SYBA SD-EXP50021 has been obsolete for a few years now.

There are also ExpressCard form factor cards which are USB based instead of PCI-Express. It's not always easy to tell which is which from the card description. Of course USB based ExpressCard cards don't work any better than any other USB based LPT interface for connecting to device programmers, which is to say they don't work at all for that application.