Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Snark Barker" - Soundblaster 1.0 Clone

Thumbs up "Snark Barker" - Soundblaster 1.0 Clone

See https://blog.adafruit.com/2019/02/05...er-tubetimeus/

Unfortunatelly it is not a 1.5.

I saw one of these on eBay and thought the name was hilarious. It is good to finally see a clone. Perhaps people will give up on those overpriced adlib cards now :P

I thought the only real difference between the 1.0 and and 1.5 was an upgraded DSP and socketed/optional CMS chips?

Hey, now there's a card with my name on it The ones on eBay are just folks running Eric's design and trying to make a buck off it. Eric is on our #vc IRC as ejs, I don't know if he's supplying bare boards or if some "blessed" source has organized a board run.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ST1 View Post
    Unfortunatelly <sic> it is not a 1.5.
    1.5 and 1.0 are the same thing. 1.0 had the CMS/GB chips installed by default. 1.5 left sockets in their place and allowed for an upgrade to 1.0 later (which I did in 1990!)
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Blog Entries

Been following its development on Vogons for some time now. https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php...561635#p773237 There is also a Galaxy clone in development.

It'll be interest to see what the final cost will be. Considering it has a lot more components, the board is bigger and take longer to assemble the cost will segnifacantly higher than the Ablib clones.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; July 28th, 2019 at 09:53 AM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quite a neat thing. I love it. I wonder what it would cost for a kit to solder?

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    Been following its development on Vogons for some time now. https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php...561635#p773237 There is also a Galaxy clone in development.

It'll be interest to see what the final cost will be. Considering it has a lot more components, the board is bigger and take longer to assemble the cost will segnifacantly higher than the Ablib clones.
    Well....
    There are numerous projects on Vogons. GUS clone and Adlib clone's.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    Hey, now there's a card with my name on it
    20190516_001645.jpg

I think it's quite the snazzy card. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to populating mine.
    Current projects: The Cactus 6502 front panel homebrew computer 🌵, reviving a DG Nova 1200, upgrading an OSI Challenger 4P, fixing a Hero 1 robot, upgrading an AST Bravo, monkeying with VIC-20s, reverse-engineering a Decitek paper tape reader/punch, among other things...

Blog Entries

I love the name but being a 1.0 card clone means it lacks auto-init DMA transfers, which is a slight bummer.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

I think a SB 1320c (1.5) is my oldest card along with a 1350 (2.0), 8 bit ISA. Most of what I actually use is SB Pro 2.0 and above.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems