Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Snark Barker" - Soundblaster 1.0 Clone

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Then wouldn't that technically make it a 2.0 card? Or did 2.0 cards not have CMS sockets?
    It would make it a Sound Blaster 2.0 clone in fact, even though it looks like a Sound Blaster 1.0/1.5. Curiously enough, the original Sound Blasters had an upgradeable DSP socket. You could get your Sound Blaster with a DSP 1.05 or a DSP 2.00 chip, the latter with the auto-init DMA functions added. This one appears to have that and the 8-bit/44.1KHz playback added by DSP 2.01.

I'd be interested in just the preprogrammed DSP chip if it's a drop in replacement for the originals.
    My Retro Computing and Vintage Gaming Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Great Hierophant View Post
    Curiously enough, the original Sound Blasters had an upgradeable DSP socket. You could get your Sound Blaster with a DSP 1.05 or a DSP 2.00 chip,
    I do wonder if they expected problems.

I'm lucky enough to have a soundblaster 1.0 (walked in to Microcenter looking for an Adlib... "you don't want that, we just got in these new Sound Blaster cards..."). But a couple of years after I got it, the 1.0 DSP chip decided to let out its magic smoke for no apparent reason. Out of warranty, I called around a bunch and was lucky enough to find someplace that was selling the upgraded DSPs, and plopping that it got it working again.

If mine did that, I suspect some others did to.

Microsoft Windows 3.1 will complain if an original Soundblaster 1 DSP is used, telling you that you need to upgrade to the "1.5" DSP.