Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NTSC in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by flaviosr View Post
    Thank you very much!!! I never noticed that SOME modern TV can "see" NTSC!!! I have only one TV (I have 5 TVs, 2 with cathode ray tube, and 3 decoders) that can do the job in a decent way... my beloved LG that can even see a rev. 1 ZX81 ULA!!! Impressive...
    I have to almost agree with you and the picture quality can be excellent but the quality is not stable and it is needed "to play" with the TV socket on the ZX80... in the following pictures you can see different level of quality:
    Attachment 54979 first picture!!! Quite good quality
    Attachment 54980 while typing my assembler program... quite bad quality but with colors!!!
    Attachment 54981 the high level results of my program!!! An excellent quality (after playing with the ZX80 TV socket)... quite surprised...
    This could be an issue of my ZX80, issue that perhaps could even be "repaired" but for now it's more than enough... the ZX80 is completely original and the fasteners are original and never opened! I want to keep it as it is.
    I have been told that the mod to make the ZX80 work for a EU frequency is quite easy (only one piece to desolder) but the label is ZX80 USA and for me that's it.

Thank you
    Oh cool, glad that it's working well and that you're happy with it!

I never looked into converting any of my NTSC consoles / computers, obviously the ZX80 was a British machine originally (one of Sir Clive's finest) so it would make sense that it would be an easy conversion I guess.

If you're wiggling the socket it could be the cable that's at fault, maybe it's not making good contact with the centre pin. It might be worth trying a different one before messing with the socket.

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyGeekBoy View Post
    Oh cool, glad that it's working well and that you're happy with it!

I never looked into converting any of my NTSC consoles / computers, obviously the ZX80 was a British machine originally (one of Sir Clive's finest) so it would make sense that it would be an easy conversion I guess.

If you're wiggling the socket it could be the cable that's at fault, maybe it's not making good contact with the centre pin. It might be worth trying a different one before messing with the socket.
    From what I have discovered discussing about the ZX80 if the mobo does not have diode D11 the output is @ 50 Hz, while if D11 is present the output is @ 60 Hz.
    The following picture is taken from internet (it's not MY ZX80):
    Senza nome.jpg