Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survey of PC graphics adapters

Blog Entries

Default Survey of PC graphics adapters

Electronic Design has been running a series of articles called "The Graphics Chip Chronicles" by Jon Peddie and Bill Wong. You can find it here. The latest installment covers the TI 34010 (TIGA) chip.

Blog Entries

I don't think I have any ISA TIGA boards (good for early DOS CAD or Windows 3.0). I think those chips were used in other devices as well.

Going over the list of video chip manufacturers I noticed just a few I never heard of before. Too bad 99% of the players are defunct, I kind of liked the competition. Today we have AMD, Nvidia, and Intel and I think Intel just purchased designs from AMD (ATI). I have not looked at the specs of laptops these days but I think even those are all ATI/Intel/Nvidia Mobile chips these days or integrated into the CPU.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I don't think I have any ISA TIGA boards (good for early DOS CAD or Windows 3.0). I think those chips were used in other devices as well.

Going over the list of video chip manufacturers I noticed just a few I never heard of before. Too bad 99% of the players are defunct, I kind of liked the competition. Today we have AMD, Nvidia, and Intel and I think Intel just purchased designs from AMD (ATI). I have not looked at the specs of laptops these days but I think even those are all ATI/Intel/Nvidia Mobile chips these days or integrated into the CPU.
    While competition is a great thing, what more can you expect than you already have from the likes of AMD, Nvidia & Intel?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Price for one.

Nvidia has the top 3D crown for now and their cards are expensive. You see what happens in the CPU game were Intel charges what they like because AMD was an also ran for so many years. Also Intel hasn't done anything with CPU for ages to improve speed because they didn't have to.

When ATI and Nvidia were neck and neck pricing and design were better because of the competition.

Blog Entries

Price for one.

Nvidia has the top 3D crown for now and their cards are expensive. You see what happens in the CPU game were Intel charges what they like because AMD was an also ran for so many years. Also Intel hasn't done anything with CPU for ages to improve speed because they didn't have to.

When ATI and Nvidia were neck and neck pricing and design were better because of the competition.
    Yes, I see your point concerning price, but feature-wise, there is little left except for maybe true holographic display with out glasses.

Blog Entries

When you can't tell real life from the monitor screen without the bezel giving it away they will be done with features.

Blog Entries

When you can't tell real life from the monitor screen without the bezel giving it away they will be done with features.
    Well, real 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Yes, I see your point concerning price, but feature-wise, there is little left except for maybe true holographic display with out glasses.
    You could have brought up the same argument 50 years ago regarding "computers".

Nvidia charges quite some money for high-end gaming GPUs, which are not licenced for datacenter use.
    They charge an absurd amount of money for the same GPUs to datacenter operators.

Because they can - there is no real competition there.

Blog Entries

Nvidia removes the external video connection and put more VRAM onto those data crunching cards so there is a slight difference.

Nvidia removes the external video connection and put more VRAM onto those data crunching cards so there is a slight difference.
    I hear they survive longer than consumer high-end video boards, when you're loading them down 24/7. Anecdotal evidence from folks I know who are doing research and using CUDA for it, no source to cite