Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floppy drive support being deprecated from Linux....

Blog Entries

Default Floppy drive support being deprecated from Linux....

So vintage computer enthusiasts - is this a problem for us ?

https://www.linuxjournal.com/content...final-librem-5

Thoughts ?

What would prevent you from using one of the too-numerous-to-enumerate versions that already contain that support on your tweener?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

It depends. Floppy-support-as-a-low-level function pretty much went away with Windows NT unless you wanted to furnish your own drivers. I've found floppy support to be a bit twitchy in later 64-bit Linux versions, but again, with a custom driver, no big deal.

I've pretty much considered that floppy support can be handled by a USB-connected MCU bridge. Not a Kyroflux sort of affair, but one that can accurately mimic a real sector-oriented floppy controller. If it doesn't already exist, it should.

What I'm getting from it is that they'll no longer update the driver, not that it won't be available anymore. Otherwise I have to question why things like Amiga FFS, BeFS, etc. are still in there :P

Blog Entries

Read the Github thread. USB floppy support will continue to be maintained which should cover most of the use cases for Linux on recent hardware. The floppy controller driver is being retained but not developed. Seems like a reasonable expectation that most of the time that driver would see use is inside a virtual machine and the VM software provider should be the one correcting for any bugs in the simulated floppy disk subsystem.

The linked article seems a bit of an over reaction. The floppy driver maintainer does not have a working floppy so unless someone else steps in, the floppy driver will be left alone. Are there any significant new floppy issues that still need to be fixed?

Given that it is Linux, I'd sort of expect some enthusiasts to pick it up if changes or enhancements were needed. I'd be more worried about Microsoft pulling their driver or ending 32-bit support. Perhaps somebody needs to donate a Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 based system to the developer.

Of course, that is from ~2013. I reviewed some of the last consumer boards with real FDCs here: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...acy-quot-tests

Does anyone know of any newer boards with real FDCs? Probably aught to snatch some up.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    Are there any significant new floppy issues that still need to be fixed?
    Only the churn in the driver APIs that makes any unmaintained Linux driver rot over time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Does anyone know of any newer boards with real FDCs? Probably aught to snatch some up.
    Depends on what you mean by "newer". I have an Asrock 990FX Extreme4 AM3+ board here that has a floppy connector. There may also be some industrial motherboards around that still have that feature.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "newer". I have an Asrock 990FX Extreme4 AM3+ board here that has a floppy connector. There may also be some industrial motherboards around that still have that feature.
    Keep in mind that board is going on 8 years old.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Gigabyte was the last to make an AM3+ motherboard with official Win10 support (couple years ago) but no floppy connector.

I don't see why you can't use an older platform that supports 3.5" and 5.25" floppies under multiple OS's and leave the new machines for new tasks.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems