Image Map Image Map

Thread: Original Altair 8800 - Restoration Questions

Default Original Altair 8800 - Restoration Questions

Original Altair 8800 - Restoration Questions

Hi,
    I now have an original 8800. Not an A or B version. This is my first one. It is very dusty, and several of the switches appear to not be functional. It only have the CPU and an upgraded ram card.
    I have been looking over YouTube for a tear-down video and could not find one. I do not want to break anything pulling it apart to clean it up. Is there any particular procedure to doing so?
    I see that the front panel is connected to the bus, and the PSU. So it looks like these need to be removed all together. But that bundle of white wires has me worried. I do not want any to snap at their solder points.
    Where can I find the correct switches for replacement? They are the power, 7, protect/unprotect switches
    Thanks
    Atari Falcon030, Atari MSTE, Atari PS3000, STACY 4, 4160STE-CosmosEX, Atari PC1, 400/800/1200XL,800XL,800XE,130XE, XEGS, Apple IIGS, TRS-80 4P, TI 99/4A, Co-Co 3, Amiga 500, C64/128D

Blog Entries

Wow - lucky you. I can't help with your questions but would love to see some pictures of your machine.

You can still sometimes find American (that's the maker) ST series round bat switches for 8800s, but if you don't care about using the actual same switch and just want it to look right, C&K makes replacements that will look fine. The mounting collars are shorter so you'll have to use two mounting nuts behind the panel (instead of one) or a washer or two.

That bundle of white wires is a mess and you will almost certainly break some just from moving it. It's really low quality wire. Get ready to either replace all of it (you can use high quality stranded wire with white insulation, it'll look the same and hold up a lot better) or spend a while chasing intermittent breaks in the wires!

Thanks for the kind replies.
    I'll post some pics soon.
    glitch, would you kind enough to post a link to the C&K switches that would look right for both types needed?
    Again thanks
    Atari Falcon030, Atari MSTE, Atari PS3000, STACY 4, 4160STE-CosmosEX, Atari PC1, 400/800/1200XL,800XL,800XE,130XE, XEGS, Apple IIGS, TRS-80 4P, TI 99/4A, Co-Co 3, Amiga 500, C64/128D

The switches appear at surplus outlets, eBay, Jameco, and sometimes Amazon (surprise).
    Since you are in northern California, Al Lashers in Berkeley should be on your list.
    http://allashers.com/

There are several American miniature switch manufacturers, that offer different actuators (toggle handles).
    You can purchase more common units from distributors: Mouser, Digi-Key, Allied, Newark, Future.

C&K Switches
    https://www.ckswitches.com/product-selection/toggle/

Carling Technologies catalog (84 pages)
    https://www.carlingtech.com/sites/de...ch-Catalog.pdf
    Last edited by w9gb; August 9th, 2019 at 10:19 PM.