Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bought an SE, what's good for upgrades?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Getting a 68020/68030 upgrade made them so much more usable. The 68000 CPU was heavily taxed by drawing the screen frame buffer, disk access and bit banging the floppy drive. Even later 68k era machines still had this problem, but it was compounded by higher screen resolutions and color depth modes. There were also screen upgrades for a few of the crackerbox macs which bumped the screen resolution up to 640x480 and made them more useful.

One of the machines in the Macintosh II line had two 6502 CPUs dedicated to running the floppy drives to reduce the burden on the host CPU, too bad Apple didn't put this on all 68k machines.
    That was the IIfx. The dual 10mhz 6502's controlled floppy, serial, adb, and sound functions.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

There were graphics cards for the se. Not sure if any added color capability on an external monitor, but 1 or more at least drove a 2 page mono display.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    There were graphics cards for the se. Not sure if any added color capability on an external monitor, but 1 or more at least drove a 2 page mono display.
    The Radius Accererator 25 for the SE (68020+fpu) has a card you connect to it that drives an external Radius two page display or Radius Full page display.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

There was also the radius pivot display. Not sure if there was an se card for it or not.

5. Default

Well crap. The Mac boots and runs fine from floppies and seems to ignore the internal HDD which just blinks and makes an occasional noise, this being a pretty typical experience with a 30+ year old HDD I thought nothing of it. I got a set of system 6 disks and ordered a SCSI to SD card; https://store.inertialcomputing.com/...sd-v6-revf.htm I first ran the install routine with the HDD in place just to see if it could be coaxed into operation in case there was anything on it but it just gave an error message. I connected the SCSI to SD card and ran the setup routine and got the exact same error. Any ideas?

IMG_1158.jpg

Blog Entries

The 20mb Miniscribe drives in the SE are known for stiction and reliability problems, partially because Miniscribe was junk universally. I've tried everything from board swaps to unlidded HDA inspections and can't get back ones coaxed back to life and usually just swap in a 230mb Quantum or equivalent.
    The drives will not appear on the SCSI chain if they encounter a hard error.
    = Excellent space heater

7. Default

I found this; http://appletothecore.me/files/scsi2...tate_drive.php

The takeaway is this:
    I booted the machine up with the Utilities disk from the 4-disk System 6.0.8 installer and launched the Apple HD SC Setup utility. As expected, the drive was not detected. Apple's utility cannot recognize non-Apple-branded drives. I tried it again with the "patched" version of that utility (the one that's been floating around the Internet for years) and it detected and successfully initialized the 2GB card as a single partition.

I have no other Mac to make the disk with and I have read it is not possible with a PC/Linux box. Is there someone that makes these? I bought my System 6 set from a guy that makes Mac disks but he does not have a patched version listed.