Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tandy Model III Floppy Controller Board Questions

psg4,
    If the Power Supply pins are a Right Angled Type it's not a Tandy Supply, it's an Astec. They are very reliable.

If I were you I'd just replace the Flex cables, versus removing the connectors and taking a chance of removing a
    PCB pad in the process. Unless you have a lot of experience, and the right equipment there is a great chance you
    can do more harm than good. They are available on Digi-Key or Jay has some available.

If you have the Floppy Drives out of the Model 3, I'd suggest taking a cotton swab dipped in Alcohol and cleaning the
    Head Drive Rails. Those two rails need to be cleaned the best you can, while carefully, and slowly moving the
    Head Assembly over it's range of travel. Then lubricate each rail with about 2-3 drops of DRI-SLIDE a Motorcycle
    Cable Lubricant. Most Motorcycle shops carry the lubricant. It doesn't attract dirt or moisture, lasts years after
    application to the floppy Head Guide Rods, and makes the motor step much easier. A can of Dri-Slide will
    last a lifetime for you. It also works good on Scanner Rails.....

You also might want to carefully check the the read heads to see if there is any brown oxide depisits on the head(s).
    Any Brown deposits need to carefully be removed with a clean cotton swab dipped in Alcohol. It may take a little work,
    but go slow, gentle, and careful. You don't want to damage or mis-align those heads.

Larry

Well got around to looking at the board a little closer. I had purchased the flex cables from digikey and tested the board out and it sill wasn't working. I then took a closer look at the connector on the floppy controller board. It appears someone was in there before me! It was really loose and the pins were not making a solid connection to the board. Then the connector came off... I'm not sure if the board is salvageable, but is there anyone I can contact on getting it fixed? I don't have the right equipment to fix it myself. The old connector looks toast and I no idea if the pads are still intact or not. They passed a continuity test, but they don't look good.

Quote Originally Posted by psg4 View Post
    Well got around to looking at the board a little closer. I had purchased the flex cables from digikey and tested the board out and it sill wasn't working. I then took a closer look at the connector on the floppy controller board. It appears someone was in there before me! It was really loose and the pins were not making a solid connection to the board. Then the connector came off... I'm not sure if the board is salvageable, but is there anyone I can contact on getting it fixed? I don't have the right equipment to fix it myself. The old connector looks toast and I no idea if the pads are still intact or not. They passed a continuity test, but they don't look good.
    I sell the cables (original type) as well as both versions of the FDC controller

Contact me via PM (or JAYNEWIRTH@VERIZON.NET) ..... if interested

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (45.6 KB, 15 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (46.2 KB, 12 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (54.2 KB, 12 views)