Image Map Image Map

Thread: MicroVAX 3300

Default MicroVAX 3300

Ok

Now its time to have a go at the 3300

The PSU appears to be set to 110V (sticker on front of PSU) despite the socket saying 240V.

Looking in the PSU, there is a unplugable link. Does anyone know if the link should be removed for 240V operation ? (cant find a manual online)

I think this unit is a bit more of a basket case than the 3100 as the drive connections were partially disassembled and one of the RF30's has 'dead ?' written on it.

I also note that the drive mounts rubber have disintegrated, but also that there are levers that clamp the rails, are these for transport or to release the drives for removal ?

Thanks in advance.

The levers are to release the drives so you can slide the drive carriage off the rail it sits on, yeah.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Nice find, I believe the cabinet is a BA215. There is also and expansion cabinet that looks the same called R215F that can house more RF disks.
    Assuming your 3300 is in BA215 then checkout page 12 of this guide. I suspect the PSU for 240v may be different than the PSU for 120v, hopefully someone else will pipe up with the correct answer.

http://manx-docs.org/collections/mds...x/432abin2.pdf

Also the BA215 can support a VAX 4000 as well, so worth checking what cards you have installed.
    Last edited by PG31; July 31st, 2019 at 10:12 AM.

Blog Entries

From what I have seen in the manuals only the cable changed, which implies the PSUs are auto-sense, but I can't believe that PSUs that old would have that capability....

Might be worth asking on the VMS newsgroup. Lots of older folks on there.

Also DEC Legacy group

https://groups.io/g/declegacy
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    From what I have seen in the manuals only the cable changed, which implies the PSUs are auto-sense, but I can't believe that PSUs that old would have that capability....

Might be worth asking on the VMS newsgroup. Lots of older folks on there.

Also DEC Legacy group

https://groups.io/g/declegacy
    Thanks, will try.

Looking at it, Im pretty sure the plug in link is a 240/110 selection, but will have to draw out the cct before I plug it it.

Just have to fix one of our sons laptop first, PSU connector has failed, but Amazon to the rescue and part arriving tomorrow. Wish they did vintage PC bits as easily.

Damn it. The A version of the PSU is not selectable and B versions are 200+

Not only that, it has a blown cap, so it looks as if it was powered up at 240 before I got it.

Given the big caps, and chunky inductors, I hope any tranisent hasnt affected the processor, but I wont know until I get a 240-110V transformer, replace the cap and give it a go.

Ah, well, its part of the game.

Blog Entries

thats a bugger as they say in Newcastle...
    ... do you think you could use a modern PC Server PSU?
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals