Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling NEC PC-9801VM

Default Selling NEC PC-9801VM

The PC-9800 series (Japanese: PC-9800シリーズ Hepburn: Pī Sī Kyūsen Happyaku Shirīzu), commonly shortened to PC-98 or 98 (キューハチ Kyū-hachi)[3], is a lineup of Japanese 16-bit and 32-bit personal computers manufactured by NEC from 1982 through 2000. The platform established NEC's dominance in the Japanese personal computer market, and by 1999, more than 18 million PC-98 units had been sold

The PC-9801VM used NEC V30 CPU clocked at 10 MHz, and was released in July 1985. The VM2 model shipped with two 5-inch 2HD floppy drives, and supported both 2DD and 2HD floppy disks.[14] It became the best-selling computer in Japan, with annual sales of 210,000 units.

IMG_2567.jpgIMG_2568.jpgIMG_2569.jpgIMG_2570.jpgIMG_2571.jpgIMG_2572.jpg

Blog Entries

Nice looking system! Is there a cover plate that goes over the DIP switches?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Nice looking system! Is there a cover plate that goes over the DIP switches?

It is missing unfortunately

Nice machine you got there, I own a PC-98 myself - a 9821Xb10/J8 to be specific.

Blog Entries

A note to anyone wanting to purchase a PC98 system is that you're not going to run garden-variety PC DOS/MS DOS or games on it. Internally, PC98 systems are very different. They take a special version of MS-DOS to start with.

But all in all, a very interesting platform with some features that, back in the day, I wished that other PCs had adopted.

My PC98 runs a lot of pc software. It has an SLE card, which stands for Software Library Expander. Ok my unit is the gringo version, an NEC APC III. None of it works at the moment, not even the color monitor. Not saying it's necessarily 100% ibm compatible. But it runs Jeopardy. This much Ii know.

Blog Entries

That's cheating--it's like a PC with a Z80 card running CP/M. The SLE is an 8088 processor card. The native PC98 is not hardware-compatible with the IBM PC. I/O port address assignments are completely different, BIOS interface is different, etc.

Another x86 Japanese incompatible system was the Mitsubishi Multi-16, introduced in 1981. I believe it ran CP/M-86.

There were dozens. Yes here and there were specimens that didn't have a dos port, uncommon though. Another possible candidate is the Canon VP-3000. I don't know what it runs. Haven't a clue.

It is so not cheating! A bunch of phoney-fake-fraudulent-pseudo-phoney-cheapish_knock_off IBM incompatibles (sorry for the double negatives) had compatibility cards. And omg are they rare and much sought after.

Blog Entries

Name some.

I mention the Multi-16 since it was very early (1981) and relatively unknown outside of Japan. I mention it also because it was Mitsubishi and I've run into Mitsu PLC software that proudly says that you can run some of the design programs on your Multi-16. Cool--where do I find one? Generally, the later Mitsubishi PLC software was based on MS-DOS for the PC98 platform (e.g. the floppies were 8x1024 per track and 1.23MB per on 77 tracks).

The TIPC had at least 2. Wang PC. Epson QX-10 had the Titan card (but the 10 natively ran a z80 until the QX-16 came out). There were others. Orange Micro/AST had a 286 coprocessor for the Mac II.