Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you store your vintage collection?

Default Where do you store your vintage collection?

I think most of us, myself included, have managed to collect more than we are able to use at one time. Where does everyone store their overflow? I have mine in the attic, at present:
    2019-08-01.jpg
    Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phones suck because they come through the internet.

Agree with the statement: more collected than I can use at one time. I will add: or is sensible to own. My favorites units (around half) and all software are stored in various closets around the house. The remainder are boxed in my garage. Don't have a picture, but envision 1/2 of a car bay that looks like your attic.

I have a closet with common parts I am likely to need and a storage unit full of oddball stuff and machines that I havenít gotten around to fixing.

I live in Texas and the garage and attic are just not options with the heat / humidity issues

My collection is entirely in my computer room and closets in that room.

I didn't want to have computers all around the house (as I did before), so now the only place I have computers is the computer room. (imagine Homer Simpson saying "Computer in computer room.... makes sense.")

Awesome setup. Clearly, I need a dedicated room!
    Wish List: TI Portable Professional Keyboard, Corona Portable PC keyboard cover
    Collection: Osborne 1; Compaq Portable, Plus, 286, III, 386, Deskpro 8086, 286, 386; Tandy 1000HX, 1000TX, 3000, TRS80-4P; Amiga 500; IBM PS/1, PS/2 Mod 25, 70, 80; IBM 5150, 5155, 5160; AT&T PC6300; Corona PPC-400; Epson HX-20; NEC Multispeed, PowerMate SX Plus; TI Portable Professional; Gateway 486DX2-66, P166; Alienware Pentium4; Packard Bell Celeron 400Mhz; Dell L550r PIII, Opti 745 Pentium D; Apple IIgs; Sun UltraSparc 10

Blog Entries

Mine have been in the basement or basement crawlspace for 20+ years. Cool, dry, and dark is best for electronics and plastics.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

Keep them away from chemical and ozone (smog or electric ionic air purifiers).

I keep mine in my basement mostly on shelving some setup on desks or folding tables plus a few in my room under my L-shaped computer desk (plus a few laptops I play with). Some misc overflow gear is in the garage stored in plastic tubs with lids.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

My basement is partially finished. The unfinished part serves as my storage space, workshop, and play space. Added some electric and lighting. A nice standing desk with motorized height adjustment for a workbench has been a blessing for my back.

I have two rooms in the house, a computer room and a server room, which also has storage. Those are in the link below. Other items go into "cold" (climate controlled storage) if they're working, or "hot" if they're parts/busted and I'm keeping it for some reason.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicHasClass View Post
    I have two rooms in the house, a computer room and a server room, which also has storage. Those are in the link below. Other items go into "cold" (climate controlled storage) if they're working, or "hot" if they're parts/busted and I'm keeping it for some reason.
    I see you've got a "New Coke" there. I saved a bunch of cans when New Coke first came out in 1985 - but then I thought, "That's silly. New Coke will be around forever, so there's no point in saving cans!" Then I trashed them all.

Who knew New Coke would be gone a few months later. (gone from Canada, at least - I think it lasted a bit longer in the US)