Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where do you store your vintage collection?

I started by accumulating things in my basement. Then I bought some fridge sized SGI machines and was storing those in a warehouse space rented by my friend. Then my friend rented a bigger warehouse space to hold his arcade cabinet collection and I moved along with him and acquired some more big SGI machines. Then my basement was too cramped, so I moved everything into the warehouse. Eventually I needed more space and so did my friend, so I moved into my own warehouse space that was initially shared with the local maker group. Then I started getting cramped on space again and the local maker group thought I was being tyrannical because I wouldn't let them make me legally liable for killing themselves on a lathe/band saw/table saw/TIG welder/whatever, so they moved out into their own space. Now I have enough space for storage and a modest arrangement of stored stuff as an "exhibit" and I'm bringing items from the warehouse to my basement for repair/refurbishment/restoration work project. For what I was collecting, the typical sources (ebay, liquidation auctions, government auctions, etc.) have pretty much dried up, so I got things in the last wave before they became scarce. Therefore my focus has shifted from item acquisition to item rework.

nearly all my collection fits in one room. long table with desktops on it, some stuff stored under it. and a tall shelves for desktops in a corner of a room. notebooks stored in shelves in another room.

+++15_5_19__033.jpg

_IMG5933.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by legalize View Post
    I started by accumulating things in my basement. Then I bought some fridge sized SGI machines and was storing those in a warehouse space rented by my friend. Then my friend rented a bigger warehouse space to hold his arcade cabinet collection and I moved along with him and acquired some more big SGI machines. Then my basement was too cramped, so I moved everything into the warehouse. Eventually I needed more space and so did my friend, so I moved into my own warehouse space that was initially shared with the local maker group. Then I started getting cramped on space again and the local maker group thought I was being tyrannical because I wouldn't let them make me legally liable for killing themselves on a lathe/band saw/table saw/TIG welder/whatever, so they moved out into their own space. Now I have enough space for storage and a modest arrangement of stored stuff as an "exhibit" and I'm bringing items from the warehouse to my basement for repair/refurbishment/restoration work project. For what I was collecting, the typical sources (ebay, liquidation auctions, government auctions, etc.) have pretty much dried up, so I got things in the last wave before they became scarce. Therefore my focus has shifted from item acquisition to item rework.
    How long do you think it will be before that happens with IBM PC's from the 80's(5150/5160/5170 etc)?
    Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phones suck because they come through the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandisk78 View Post
    nearly all my collection fits in one room. long table with desktops on it, some stuff stored under it. and a tall shelves for desktops in a corner of a room. notebooks stored in shelves in another room.

+++15_5_19__033.jpg
    Is that a Digital Venturis 5/75? I've got one of those with original monitor/keyboard.

Not sure how rare they are but yours is the first I have seen outside of my collection in years.
    System 80 Expansion Interface located! Thanks to all who helped out and the good people in the NZ vintage computer forums!