Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you store your vintage collection?

The New Coke is actually New New Coke, from Coca-Cola's recent Stranger Things promotion. But it is legit New Coke inside, controversial flavour recreated.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Blog Entries

New Coke tasted like Pepsi to me back then. I wonder if anybody saved the original Cokes with cocaine in them, they must be worth a mint now?

I miss orange Crush in the bottles. Acidic drinks in cans can taste metallic, in plastic bottles they can taste like plastic, glass was pretty much inert.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

You can thank the "Pepsi Challenge" promotion for New Coke. The TL;DR is that if you give human beings just a single sip of two random liquids they fairly reliably will pick the sweeter one as "better", so even people that would probably prefer to drink a full can of Coke will prefer a single sip of Pepsi. The Coca-Cola Company nonetheless freaked out at continually losing the challenge and, well, wackiness ensued.

I also thought it tasted similar to Pepsi. However, my dad said it tasted like RC to him, and I read somewhere else that they likened it to the taste of Diet Coke but with sugar, which makes sense given the history of the beverage.

I actually rather like it, but an effective price of $10 a can (at the current rate of buying those ST gift packs) deters me from indulging further, and overall I still prefer Mexi-Coke.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

I stopped drinking Coke (and all pop) in the late 90's when I stated noticing a horrible tangy aftertaste. I don't know if it's the high-fructose corn syrup or some other ingredient cheapening, but I just know it really started to taste bad. I still have memories of how things used to taste. I never thought I'd have to look longingly back to a time when they used real sugar, real flavours and glass bottles. I still have good memories of Orange Crush, Lime Ricky, Black Cherry, Cream Soda, Root Beer (made with actual roots), and the original Mountain Dew (before it tasted like lemon-flavoured pig vomit).

Oh, what a time to live in.

6. Default

In the attic.

Last edited by philippe_d; August 12th, 2019 at 03:29 AM.

Storage shed outside. Fortunately, everything seems to fare well. It's a clean and pretty new shed, mice can't get into it, etc. I try to make sure all magnetic media is stored inside, though I have missed a few things I've found...not sure how sensitive they really are to heat and cold.

Wesley

Bedroom, garage, and some crappola in an old mini van. As soon as I have a yard sale the bedroom is getting emptied out because there will be more room in the garage at that point. I can't tolerate clutter anymore. Oh how could I forget, the sunroom had a pile of stuff also. Oi vay.

Blog Entries

Shed, conservatory, bedroom, lounge, kitchen or where ever I can put it.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."