Image Map Image Map

Thread: Apple II Plus - what logic board version and keyboard?

Default Apple II Plus - what logic board version and keyboard?

IMG_4367.jpg

I have only the bottom with the original power supply #000337. Attached is the labeling on the bottom. I'm looking to re-build this computer, but would like to know which logic board and keyboard would best match based on what appears on the labeling?

Version of logic board would be something like, for example, a revision 4, revision D, etc.

Version of keyboard would be something like Datanetics, Version 2, RFI version, etc.

I'd also be looking for the case and top cover, but for now the logic board and keyboard is a start. Thank you!

s/n 7000s is a fairly early unit, it should be equipped with rev 1 logic board and a keyboard with raised power light.
    Logic board should have a real serial number (not date code; Apple switched to date code on rev 2 logic boards with case serial number above 10k) no more than two/three hundred higher than the case serial number.

Did some searching on A2S1048B... This computer is a Bell & Howell Apple II Plus. I'm 99-percent sure of it because when I originally received the case and bottom, the case was really messed up. It was "beige" but not the original Apple beige. The previous owner re-painted the case. So when I attempted to re-paint it, I sanded the case down to the grey molded material. I then discovered there was a huge hole on the right rear that was patched up with some kind of filler. The hole, now that I think about it, was where the round paddle ports were located. I'm not at all interested in restoring this to a B&H.

With this in mind, did the B&H model go as far back as a revision 1 board? As for the keyboard, I have a version 2 keyboard with the Datanetics encoder, but not with the rounded power light. It is also a J-Plus keyboard with the katakana key caps.

Quote Originally Posted by groink View Post
    Did some searching on A2S1048B... This computer is a Bell & Howell Apple II Plus. I'm 99-percent sure of it because when I originally received the case and bottom, the case was really messed up. It was "beige" but not the original Apple beige. The previous owner re-painted the case. So when I attempted to re-paint it, I sanded the case down to the grey molded material. I then discovered there was a huge hole on the right rear that was patched up with some kind of filler. The hole, now that I think about it, was where the round paddle ports were located. I'm not at all interested in restoring this to a B&H.

With this in mind, did the B&H model go as far back as a revision 1 board? As for the keyboard, I have a version 2 keyboard with the Datanetics encoder, but not with the rounded power light. It is also a J-Plus keyboard with the katakana key caps.
    You're right. I completely missed the A2S3 part. I thought it was an A2S1. It's still a fairly early unit, but probably not a rev 1 board.

IMG_4367.jpg

I have only the bottom with the original power supply #000337. Attached is the labeling on the bottom. I'm looking to re-build this computer, but would like to know which logic board and keyboard would best match based on what appears on the labeling?

Version of logic board would be something like, for example, a revision 4, revision D, etc.

Version of keyboard would be something like Datanetics, Version 2, RFI version, etc.

I'd also be looking for the case and top cover, but for now the logic board and keyboard is a start. Thank you!

Check my A2S3-001604 Bell and Howell Apple II plus. This is a Rev 4 motherboard and a Datanetics keyboard but it is earlier than yours. I can find out more about the keyboard if you wish but if you are trying to restore it properly, it needs to be a Bell and Howell model.

http://vintagecomputer.ca/early-bell...well-apple-ii/

Yeah, getting a B&H case is near to impossible. I'll more than likely sell off the power supply and bottom, and let someone else put a system together.

the entire system is being sold on fleabay piecemeal right now, suspiciously missing the base plate.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkbert View Post
    the entire system is being sold on fleabay piecemeal right now, suspiciously missing the base plate.
    Thanks for the heads-up! He does have the base plate - it is in the same sale as the case/cover. The seller's base plate is much newer than mine. I'm going to pass on this one! But it will give me an idea on what the value of the pieces will be. What I find confusing is why he has all the pieces, but decided to sell by the piece instead of selling as a complete system?

Blog Entries

It's an RDF'd Apple fanboy. Don't think about it too hard or you'll become one of them.

Nah, he's probably trying to maximize profit but in the most extreme way possible.
    = Excellent space heater

Thanks for the heads-up! He does have the base plate - it is in the same sale as the case/cover. The seller's base plate is much newer than mine. I'm going to pass on this one! But it will give me an idea on what the value of the pieces will be. What I find confusing is why he has all the pieces, but decided to sell by the piece instead of selling as a complete system?
    In general, a machine fetches more in pieces...