Image Map Image Map

Thread: What filter caps are needed for an IBM 5154?

Default What filter caps are needed for an IBM 5154?

After...a year I've finally gotten around to dismantling the 5154 to deal with it's failed caps which turned it into an impressive smoke machine last year.

Fortunately it is only the 2 filter caps that have gone, all the rest still look fine.

The originals are WIMA MP3 0.1uf.

I found almost the same caps on ebay...just at 0.15uf which I thought would be close enough, but then realised those are larger 25mm spacing caps and I need 15mm components to go in the 5154.

I've not been able to find exactly the same WIMA caps anywhere on ebay, and am struggling to find anything at around 0.1uf in 15mm from UK stock.

Is the capacitance particularly critical as I've found these on ebay at 0.22uf?

Do they have to be Wima, Just did a quick search on ebah and turned up a few that would be suitable like these or these
    Last edited by Malc; August 4th, 2019 at 07:07 AM.

Ordered, thanks! Got some 3mm nuts & bolts on order too to close the power supply case back up with, I'm not replacing those damn rivets with more of the same, took me ages to get into it!

Quote Originally Posted by cwathen View Post
    Ordered, thanks! Got some 3mm nuts & bolts on order too to close the power supply case back up with, I'm not replacing those damn rivets with more of the same, took me ages to get into it!

How did you get into it? Did you drill the rivets?
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    My drill is broken atm. I did consider digging the dremel out to cut through them but the material is actually very soft and so in the end I just snipped and snipped at them with a pair of side cutters until I had eroded them enough to pull the casing off. Once in I just pulled what was left of the rivets out from the other side.

TBH I wasn't impressed at all at the build quality and serviceability of the this monitor considering how well built and easily serviceable the computers are. You shouldn't really find that a power supply casing is virtually a structural part of the chassis, nor should you find it riveted shut.

Blog Entries

For anyone wanting to replace the PSU caps in the 110V version of the 5154, this sheet may come in handy: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...g-xRzXxyTO1nXQ

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    This is exactly what I did on the two I re-capped. Just make sure to drill really slowly, and a new sharp drill makes it go a bit quicker as well.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cwathen View Post
    TBH I wasn't impressed at all at the build quality and serviceability of the this monitor considering how well built and easily serviceable the computers are. You shouldn't really find that a power supply casing is virtually a structural part of the chassis, nor should you find it riveted shut.
    Weren't those jobbed out by IBM to some Korean outfit?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Weren't those jobbed out by IBM to some Korean outfit?
    My 5154 does indeed say 'Made in Korea' on the label !