Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: MPI 360k won't read/write

Blog Entries

Do whatever works for you. I'm not overly optimistic on the success of a repair in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Do whatever works for you. I'm not overly optimistic on the success of a repair in any case.
    The same here. Repair is given about a 30% working. Using a weight is not likely to work well either. With the spring tweaked like it is, the head will have a different force on the leading than the trailing edge. This is likely to cause premature wear on the disk.
    Work straightening the spring, one bend at a time. This will reduce the chances of breaking it.
    It would be better to find another complete head assembly. The only issue there is you'd likely have to adjust for both disk track 0 and the track 0 sensor.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Yeah, someone familiar with watchmaking or a jeweler could probably figure this out. My impulse might be to take a couple of small pieces of brass bar or rod stock and cut a slit in the side near the end of each with a jeweler's frame saw. You could then slip both over the spring and see if you could correct the bend by manipulating both. You could also try a jeweler's angled burnisher, with a block under the spring and see if that might straighten things out.

It's just that once the head's removed from its suspension, things get pretty nasty.

Blog Entries

So I took a chance and removed the head, bent the copper leaf spring just enough to get the top head to sit down properly.

The drive reads directories fine. I can create directories and small batch files. The working drive can read both. But I cannot read or copy larger files, either from the working drive or entirely on the non working one.

I played around a little with one of the trimmers I know I had messed with and got it to a point where I could write batch files pretty much as large as I wanted.. but still no 'regular' file copying. I get either sector read or sector write failure, or general failure.

Try a little more weight to see if it is still contact issues.
    Also check the rotation speed.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    So I took a chance and removed the head, bent the copper leaf spring just enough to get the top head to sit down properly.
    Well, now it may be a bit out of alignment. Without fancy test equipment, the first thing you should do is run ImageDisk, start "alignment mode", insert a known good factory-created write protected disk (such as a driver disk), and step through all of the tracks making sure all are readable, re-adjusting the head if needed.

You can also use ImageDisk to check the RPM speed.

Next you want to test writing over the entire disk. Probably the easiest way is format a known good disk and then verify with Norton Disk Test 4.5.

If that looks like it is working, take the freshly formatted disk over to another system and again verify with Norton Disk Test 4.5 or similar.

Once that is working, then you can test reading and writing individual files.

With this kind of fix, if something is still a bit off, it is possible the the outer tracks are read/writing fine but the inner tracks may have problems.

It is also hoped that you measures the pots value before you adjusted it? The pot sets the write current.
    With the tracking being a little off, it would read a disk formatted by by itself. The azimuth could only be a tiny bit off so it is unlikely to be the problem. It is more likely that the head is still not coming down flat or is off relative to the other head.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Well, I'd suspect the trimmers (which are usually factory-set; that's why they often have a blob of glypt holding them in place.) if you couldn't format a floppy and write to it successfully. Otherwise, it's likely the alignment being off.

Blog Entries

I knew the pot I was adjusting was out from the get go because I messed with it years ago. The other two are untouched.

I noticed the head still had a slight tilt to the right so I rebent it. I also very slightly adjusted the alignment of the top head further to the right. I can now do some operations I couldn't before, like combining txt files into a single. The sound of the drive as it writes is sounding better. I'm not sure if I should keep moving the head slightly rightward or play with the one pot again. I gotta look at the guide and see what exactly I'm adjusting with that. Has a tiny little screw. Not a bigger plastic one like the other two.

I'm pretty excited.. this is the most I've seen this drive do in.. forever.

Blog Entries

Ok so I attempted to center the head just a bit more. Now, it will format, copy files, and run files copied on that disk. The other drive can read the directory but of course cannot open any of the files. So is this where I should stop messing with the head and look at that pot?