Image Map Image Map

Thread: Stopping BASIC programs under LDOS 5.3.1

Question Stopping BASIC programs under LDOS 5.3.1

This seems a daft question to ask but here goes anyway: How do you stop BASIC programs running under LDOS 5.3.1?

Just hitting BREAK does nothing. I've tried combinations of Shift and BREAK, the arrow keys and CLEAR in case that would work. Reading the LDOS and LDOS BASIC manuals doesn't reveal anything. LDOS appears to be functioning correctly and the program execution continues normally. Doesn't seem to matter what the BASIC program is (e.g. 10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD"; 20 GOTO 10 or 10 GOTO 10)

I'm running LDOS 5.3.1 on a Model 1 with Quinterface and FreHD 2.14.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by davefiddes View Post
    This seems a daft question to ask but here goes anyway: How do you stop BASIC programs running under LDOS 5.3.1?

Just hitting BREAK does nothing. I've tried combinations of Shift and BREAK, the arrow keys and CLEAR in case that would work. Reading the LDOS and LDOS BASIC manuals doesn't reveal anything. LDOS appears to be functioning correctly and the program execution continues normally. Doesn't seem to matter what the BASIC program is (e.g. 10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD"; 20 GOTO 10 or 10 GOTO 10)

I'm running LDOS 5.3.1 on a Model 1 with Quinterface and FreHD 2.14.

Thanks.
    Not sure but Try CTRL + Z or CTRL + ^
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

BREAK should do it.

Is your BREAK key broken?

Try this little program:

10 CLS
    20 PRINT@0,PEEK(14400);:GOTO20

I suspect it will show 0 even when you hold on the BREAK key. As opposed to 1 if you hold ENTER or 128 if you hold the space-bar.

If it shows 4 then your BREAK key is working and some kind of software patch must be in place stopping it.

From the LDOS manual:
    SYSTEM (BREAK=switch)
    This command will enable or disable the <BREAK> key. The allowable
    switches are ON or OFF. If switch is not specified, the default will be
    ON. Once the <BREAK> key is disabled by doing a SYSTEM (BREAK=OFF)
    command, pressing it will have no effect, and the system break bit will
    not be set. It may be re-enabled at any time by doing a SYSTEM (BREAK=ON)
    command. The (BREAK=ON) will also enable the <BREAK> key if it was
    disabled by the AUTO LIBrary command.

Thanks for the pointers but the mystery deepens. The BREAK key definitely works. Hitting it at the LDOS READY prompt causes it to abandon the current line and output another READY prompt. Also when running ROM BASIC it works fine. Setting SYSTEM (BREAK=ON) has no effect. The simple keyboard poll program shows 4 when the BREAK key is pressed and the other values as expected.

I wonder if there is something to do with the Quinnterface. It doesn't have a RTC heatbeat interrupt capability. Wonder if that prevents some vital part of LDOS signal handling from working?

If the above doesn't work, just boot into BASIC and run the programs above. This gets DOS out of the way.

Carried out some further experimentation. It seems that BASIC in NEWDOS80 2.5 and DOSPLUS 3.5 both allow the BREAK key to operate. I guess that I'll use one or the other. As long as I can save and load programs from SD Card rather than cassette I'll be happy!