Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IMG or DSK file for System 7.5.3 (all 19)

It's a common problem for old Macintosh archives. A lot of the stuff that was archived as "warez", back when the stuff was new, was intended that Mac users would download everything directly to their machines. Of course, that is almost impossible today.

So instead of standard 400k, 800k, 1.44mb, or ISO images, you get all kinds of crazy compressed formats like SIT, SMI, HQX, BIN, or such. Worse yet, archives that have been converted to ZIP/RAR/7z but automatically discarding resource forks, that renders most contents unusable.

So, unfortunately, the workflow for getting most Mac archives to a real Mac involves loading them up in an emulator, extracting them, and making disk images.

If it is something you do a lot, some Macs can support other options such as networked Apple file sharing, or SCSI Iomega Zip drives.

Actually, Basillisk II has a really neat feature where you can pull a SCSI hard drive from a Mac, and attach it to a PC with a SCSI card like an Adaptec AHA-2940U and then mount it directly within the emulator. Makes an easy way to install MacOS or transfer over very large archives.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    I'd advise switching to Basilisk II then.
    I switched to SheepShaver with 9.0.4.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Windows XP View Post
    Mini vMac only works with floppy images.
    That's not true. I've used it with disk images up to 100MB.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    [...] you get all kinds of crazy compressed formats like SIT, SMI, HQX, BIN, or such.[...]

So, unfortunately, the workflow for getting most Mac archives to a real Mac involves loading them up in an emulator, extracting them, and making disk images.
    I almost never use disk images to transfer software to my Macintosh. I use XMODEM file transfers over a serial connection (USB-to-serial adapter on my modern Mac) to transfer the "crazy compressed formats," and unpack/decode them on the Mac.

I encode everything using MacBinary, and FreeTerm on the Mac will automatically decode it. Avoid BinHex, as it's a waste of disk space and time (takes longer to decode than MacBinary).

If it is something you do a lot, some Macs can support other options such as networked Apple file sharing
    AppleShare is definitely the best option in most cases, where possible.

I'm trying to upload some disk images, but I no longer have FTP on my Mac. Apple removed ftpd. I tried tnftpd, but the CLI is so user-unfriendly, I've given up. I don't want to spend 5 hours trying to parse a man page.

I tried a free one called QuickFTP Server, but it doesn't work either. I'm guessing it's incompatible with APFS because it won't show files or accept uploads even though it's set to Read & Write.

So ... I don't know what else to do. I'm hesitant to buy an FTP server package because I don't know if it'll work.

I'll fiddle with trying to get one to run on Windows maybe, but Windows will delete the Resource Forks. :/

http://bitcider.com/sys75temp/

Used Xlight FTP Server on my PC as an intermediary, then converted my DiskCopy 4.2 images to .DSK using BMOW's converter utility. Worked fine. Initially tried FileZilla Server, and that didn't work, either. So something about FileZilla Server and that QuickFTP Server have the exact same bug that prevents Fetch 2.1.2 from a System 7 Mac from connecting.