Image Map Image Map

Thread: Flux recorder/writer capable of 8" hard sector?

Default Flux recorder/writer capable of 8" hard sector?

Hi,

does anybody know if one of the various flux recording devices available is able or can be made able to read 8" hard sectored disk?

I want to examine the "System" disk of our Textsystem (see my other thread: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...stem-5823-quot) to check if it's even a system disk (not labeled) and maybe do some data recovery on it.

(The Kryoflux is out of the question for licensing issues.)

Thanks,
    Christian

Blog Entries

One thing on my to-do list is to try the FluxEngine with my 8-inch drive and the 8-inch floppies I have. Haven't found time to do that yet. My 8-inch setup is for soft-sectored disks.
    In my experience 8-inch floppy drives (again, soft-sectored) are very similar to 5.25 inch floppy drives when it comes to interface signals.
    Apart from an external 24V power supply and a FDADAP, I use the same setup for 5.25 inch floppy drives and 8 inch floppy drives.
    So I expect that the FluxEngine would work.
    Torfinn

You need to have a separate way of recording when the sector holes happen relative to the data. Some 8 inch drives record data across multiple sectors. I have such a system that creates 2 ea 16 sector hole sectors per track. The data/clock transition rate on 8 inch disk is twice that of 5.25 inch as well.
    Dwight

THAT looks interesting, especially the fact that it's Open Source and that hard-sectoring seems to be "prepared, but untested".

We have a few capable programmers in our group, so I'm quite confident in getting that to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    You need to have a separate way of recording when the sector holes happen relative to the data. Some 8 inch drives record data across multiple sectors. I have such a system that creates 2 ea 16 sector hole sectors per track. The data/clock transition rate on 8 inch disk is twice that of 5.25 inch as well.
    Dwight
    I'm quite sure that it uses standard 128byte sectors from looking at the boot prom so far.

Quote Originally Posted by cerker View Post
    I'm quite sure that it uses standard 128byte sectors from looking at the boot prom so far.
    This was intended more as a note to anyone intending to write code to handle hard sectored disk. It was typical to use 128 byte sectors but not always. The fellow at HxC claimed he could emulate any floppy disk. He met his match with N* hard sectored. Reading is not a big issue but writing back is. You should be able to use any of the flux readers that can handle 3.5 inch disk clock rates. Translating the data into bytes can be more of a problem but I suspect yours is just typical FM.
    Most any logic analyzer can read disk, for you, into raw data. I suspect even the cheap ones on ebay can read the transitions.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Yup, even a Catweasel will read HS disks. Pretty much any modern microcontroller with sufficient SRAM can.

Some 8" drives have selectable sector sizes via jumpers, dividing to 32, 16, or 8 sectors (that last one is important for simulating support for the old Memorex 8 sector disks).