Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X570/Ryzen 5 3600 Gamer Build

Blog Entries

Smile X570/Ryzen 5 3600 Gamer Build

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I started out a few weeks ago to build a simple, inexpensive backup system to replace my aging Gigabyte MA790FX-UDP5 with its AMD 955 Black CPU. Once in the store that idea morphed into a "why not just build a new gamer for a few bucks more". So, I purchased a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WIFI motherboard, a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, and 32 GB of G-Skill 3000 RAM.

The install went well and mostly uneventful until I tried to load the Realtek Audio Console. There was no audio from the speaker system and only a tinny buzz through the monitor's tiny speakers via the display port. I spent about about 2 hours or so on the phone with Gigabyte's technical support (nice folks, by the way) but to to avail. They setup a similar system in their lab and had no problems with installing the audio drivers. The MicroCenter tech person believed the problem was and on the motherboard itself, and suggested that I return the board, which I did.

For about $20 more on the exchange, I went with the Asus ROG Strix X570-F. It's a real sweetie, well laid out with lots of USB, 3 PCIe full slots, and 2 M.2 slots. These new boards offer BIOS upgrades without the need of the RAM and/or CPU being installed if you so choose.

I needed to reinstall W10 as Microsoft lets you know that it has detected a hardware change. My luck ran out with my old W8 license, as I apparently exceeded my allowed re-installs. My progress was W7 Family 3-Pak, W8 Pro ($25 special offer), and like everyone else, W10 Pro for free. I sort of panicked when I started shopping for a new W10 Pro key. The going price seemed to hover around $200 everywhere I looked. I finally found a legit retailer who had a sale going on for W10 Pro for under $60 for a W10 Pro key. Before I went ahead with the purchase, I contacted the owner to get a little background info. The store was legit with a A+ from local BBB. Apparently they can offer huge discounts from time to time because they are a volume dealer with MS. Using MS's excellent download tool and a USB drive, the install was very quick and easy. The routine asked for the key, up front, and then installed and activated without further ado. I'd like to further add that I did successfully install W8 but there was a big problem: The motherboard only supports W10 and there are no XP, W7, or W8 drivers on the Asus website. Something to think about if you have retro gaming in mind, as all of the newer high-end boards that I know of have gone that way.

A quick benchmark check with Unigen-2 showed in the mid 14000's with only a slight CPU OC to about 4.2 GHz and the RAM at about 3200 GHz. The UEFI has come a long way since my first encounter back in 2015 with Asus Z170. Very straight forward and user friendly.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

What video card are you using?

Ryzen is Win10 only, one of the reason I have not jumped into one yet. I had Win10 on a FX-8350 CPU a couple years ago and had nothing but issues with 5 channel sound (which worked fine in Win7).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    What video card are you using?

Ryzen is Win10 only, one of the reason I have not jumped into one yet. I had Win10 on a FX-8350 CPU a couple years ago and had nothing but issues with 5 channel sound (which worked fine in Win7).
    It's the Asus Nvidia GTX 1080 out of my older Z170 Build. Sound is okay with this new build.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Not true, I have a 2nd generation Ryzen and I'm running Windows 7 SP1 64-bit. The issue in installing Windows 7 is USB 3.0 drivers. You either have to add the USB 3.0 drivers to the Windows disk image before installing or you need at least a PS/2 keyboard and add the USB 3.0 drivers once Windows 7 is installed. Certainly 1st and 2nd generation Ryzen (up to Pinnacle Ridge) without integrated graphics is OK. I'm not sure about 3rd generation Ryzen (Matisse) but they are likely OK as well. As for Ryzen APUs (with integrated graphics) there were BIOS issues with the ACPI tables but motherboard manufacturers may have fixed these issues by now. Check to see if your motherboard manufacturer has drivers for those APUs (Raven Ridge and Picasso).

Personally I would recommend Windows 7 over Windows 10 unless for some strange reason you actually like telemetry sending who-knows-what back to Microsoft, forced auto-updates and whatever other unnecessary bloat Microsoft has added.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    It's the Asus Nvidia GTX 1080 out of my older Z170 Build. Sound is okay with this new build.
    Here's a screenshot of Unigen:

Superposition_Benchmark_v1.0_14722_1565382955.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I needed to reinstall W10 as Microsoft lets you know that it has detected a hardware change. My luck ran out with my old W8 license, as I apparently exceeded my allowed re-installs.

Did you call MS to try and activate? In my experience when you activation limit has been exceeded its usually just fine to call them and explain the situation and the generally activate it manually from there.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    Did you call MS to try and activate? In my experience when you activation limit has been exceeded its usually just fine to call them and explain the situation and the generally activate it manually from there.
    Oh yes. I spent a while on the phone with MS. Of course, I was talking with some tech in India and he seemed to be working off of a 'crib' sheet. His solution was to reinstall W8, which I did. However, at the time, I didn't realize that there weren't any W8 drivers for available for the new board. No drivers no LAN. Looking back, I think one of the problems was that the MS install was seeing the Gigabyte X570 board (the one that I returned for the Asus X570). In fact, I'm now convinced that was the problem. Bottom line was they told me I had exceeded my install limits. One would like to believe that MS would be able to work around that. I really don't feel 'had' as I certainly loaded a bunch for OS's off that $25 W8 Pro upgrade deal.

Quote Originally Posted by pcdosretro View Post
    Not true, I have a 2nd generation Ryzen and I'm running Windows 7 SP1 64-bit. The issue in installing Windows 7 is USB 3.0 drivers. You either have to add the USB 3.0 drivers to the Windows disk image before installing or you need at least a PS/2 keyboard and add the USB 3.0 drivers once Windows 7 is installed. Certainly 1st and 2nd generation Ryzen (up to Pinnacle Ridge) without integrated graphics is OK. I'm not sure about 3rd generation Ryzen (Matisse) but they are likely OK as well. As for Ryzen APUs (with integrated graphics) there were BIOS issues with the ACPI tables but motherboard manufacturers may have fixed these issues by now. Check to see if your motherboard manufacturer has drivers for those APUs (Raven Ridge and Picasso).

Personally I would recommend Windows 7 over Windows 10 unless for some strange reason you actually like telemetry sending who-knows-what back to Microsoft, forced auto-updates and whatever other unnecessary bloat Microsoft has added.
    Just in case someone finds this helpful, I had to manually install Windows 7 USB 3 drivers for the following in Device Manager:
    AMD Root Hub(xHCI)
    AMD USB3 Host Controller
    AMD USB3.1 eXtensible Host Controller
    AMD USB3.1 Root Hub

The driver files are amdhub3.sys, amdxhci.sys, amdxhc31.sys, amdhub31.sys respectively. This is of course for Ryzen systems.

P.S. do not install the Windows 7 SP1 Convenience rollup update from May 2016 - that includes telemetry.
    Last edited by pcdosretro; August 11th, 2019 at 04:12 PM.

Blog Entries

What's not true? The Asus ROG Strix X570 comes with W10 drivers only. The Asus web site only has W10 drivers and does not officially support W7 (W7 support officially in next January). I have W10 and I never intended to hack the install in order to run W7. So, next time before you call me out, get your facts straight. I never said you couldn't load W7 drivers or any other driver set. What I said was that I didn't have W8 drivers for this chip & board. The system is up and running and I'm not in the least frightened by the thought of MS grabbing a bit or two off my box.

I responded to user Unknown_K who said "Ryzen is Win10 only" not you. So next time before you get snippy and accuse someone of calling you out make sure you get your facts straight. Also I have a Gigabyte motherboard and so does the original poster and there are indeed Windows 7 drivers on their website.