Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: X570/Ryzen 5 3600 Gamer Build

Blog Entries

Another thing about the newer CPU's and motherboards; it's like buying a new car with a governor installed. The OEM's know fully well what the product will do. So, you buy the chip, search the net for the hokus-pokus that lets you unlock the governor, and then you're off to the benchmark races. Unless you're playing on-line with a group that has identical hardware, it's all academic. Personally, I don't do that. Right out the box, the last two gaming rigs were/are blazingly fast. Seldom if ever is there someone looking over my shoulder when I playing. Caveat: maybe the wife if she wants something done - like now.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I'm reading all this with interest. I have too much brain capitol tied up in Intel currently. Initially in late 2017 when I was purchasing bits and pieces just toying with the idea of building something modern, I expected to go wit an am4 mobo as a basis. Then found the older dual xeon mobo nos on ebay. I really couldn't resist, having a fascination with multi cpu boards. Then socket 2066 h/w caught my fancy. What a mess. I have yet to indulge in graphics h/w, interested, but as I'm not a gamer to any large degree, I'll eventually settle for something on the modest side. Heck I may just buy a console this fall and game on that. It's more about the experience of groovy boxes then anything else. Clearly that's what brings a lot of people to a forum like this.

Blog Entries

Here's another thing that happened to day. Asus issued a new BIOS update with a borked update routine, and it locked things up tighter than a drum. Using a USB 2.0 drive (must) with the previous BIOS (must rename the BIOS file to 'SX570FG.CAP' for this board) loaded, one plugs-in the thumb drive to the designated USB 2.0 port on the I/O riser, and then holds the flash button down for 3 seconds. The re-flash light then blinks until the flash is completed and turns solid. The PC is off and the PSU is plugged in, and on, but no need to turn the PC itself on. Kind of old news as this was around with the Z170's but still neat.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    I have too much brain capitol tied up in Intel currently.
    Come on over to the other side - the price is right.

Blog Entries

I've long had a soft spot for AMD--writing this on an AMD rig right now.

I would say most people do have an affinity for AMD. And I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I also like the officialness of Intel. The perception that is. No one take me to task over saying that please.

Blog Entries

AMD used to have the cheapest motherboards but prices have gone up (so has quality). I was Intel until the 486 when I jumped to AMD and then I jumped back to Intel when the Pentium came out and stuck with it up to late Pentium 3 then have been AMD since.

I can't see why anybody but the absolute richest gamer would bother with Intel at the moment. Even the older AMD collectable motherboards and CPUs are cheaper then Intel.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

It ups and downs. I stayed with AMD throughout the Intel dominance probably because of price considerations. My last big AMD project was a Gigabyte with a 990 chipset and a 8350 running a pair of XFX 7970's, one of which was the 'black' variety. It wasn't a bad gamer but struggled to get through basic bench-marks. I switched horses back in 2015 and went whole hog on a Asus Z-170 with an Intel I7-6700, which was/is a remarkable machine. Now comes AMD, full circle, with affordable mobo's and chips at a very reasonable price. It's up to Intel to price themselves back into the market.

O why o why does everything have to be so complicated! Intel - AMD - Intel - AMD. I'm an Wintel stooge right now. Until something ticks me off, and I hurl all my current jalopies on the porch and set them on fire.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    O why o why does everything have to be so complicated! Intel - AMD - Intel - AMD. I'm an Wintel stooge right now. Until something ticks me off, and I hurl all my current jalopies on the porch and set them on fire.
    Right now AMD good - Intel bad.