Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: But can it run Crysis?

Default But can it run Crysis?

Yes, yes it can.

I've invested some time and money into getting the best processor and video card my motherboard in my older Penitum 4 system can take.

Upgrades:

- Pentium 4 3.4GHZ HT processor (the highest my socket can accept).

- ATI Radeon HD 3850 Sapphire.

According to this video by Phil from Phil's Computer Lab, the HD 3850 is the fastest AGP card which there ever was (my board only has AGP 8x):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAVjgy9cY2g

It took a few adapters to get my card working, I needed a dvi-i to vga adapter to connect my monitor, but the card also needs 8pin pci-e for power, and my PSU only has Molex, so I had to use a molex to sata and then sata to pci-e 8pin adapter to power the card.

The card is very large, and so to install it I had to unplug a few cables and then reconnect them after installation, or else the card wouldn't physically fit.

This morning I had an issue where the computer would boot up, but nothing would show up on screen at all, I tried pulling the CMOS but that didn't help, but then I put the old 9800 pro in and everything was fine, so after that I put the 3850 back in, and everything was fine as well. I guess it must've gotten loose in the slot, since I forgot to slide the "rail" on the AGP slot back in after extending it to fit the card in, so it wasn't held in as securely as it should be.

Anyways, I was able to get a Windows XP driver for it off of AMD's website, and it works great.

I bought Crysis off of GOG, I had it auto scan and set it's own graphics settings, it set itself on medium, and after playing Crysis for a while now, it runs great on medium, so yes, it can run Crysis!

I think the money and time to essentially max my system out, was worth it.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

Blog Entries

I've had lousy luck with the stability of fast AGP cards, including ones that take a separate molex for power. Works fine for a few hours and then freezes.

Hope yours works out better.

It seems to work just fine, I should upgrade the PSU I have though, current one is only 300W, so may be impeding performance buy not being able to feed it enough.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I've had lousy luck with the stability of fast AGP cards, including ones that take a separate molex for power. Works fine for a few hours and then freezes.

Hope yours works out better.
    No problems out of a GeForce 6800 GT in a little Shuttle system. I don't know if that's a "fast" AGP card or not

Nice! For a while (like, until 2016) my *fastest* gaming rig was a P4 3.0 & a HD3850 AGP, on a Gigabyte 8IPE1000-G with 4GB DDR1 running WinXP. It was absolutely rock solid, but could heat a room during winter & sounded like a jet engine, as you'd expect. I was able to play some "triple-A" games that really had no business running on that system thanks to the GPU. Need For Speed 2010 didn't run great, but it ran, and it even played early-access builds of Distance & Overload OK (caveat: I consider 20 FPS playable.)

My PSU was some Antec thing that was native to the P4 which was probably wholly inadequate. I used FOUR Molex connectors to power the GPU via a two-stage chain of adapters: 4xMolex->2x6-pin->1x8-pin. Fun times.

I just sold the HD3850 on Ebay but not without a little regret. Such a cool card.

It seems there may indeed be a problem, not with the card itself, but with it being in the system, for some reason it seems my system isn't able to handle the card very well, at all. It works for a bit, and then causes restarts, then crashes upon boot, then no video output upon boot, etc. It even causes serious windows errors which I have to fix through the recovery tool on my Windows XP Pro CD.

Anyways, I have installed the previous ATI Radeon 9800 Pro I got for it, and hopefully that solves the issue. If it does than maybe I'll get a 500W or so PSU for it, because the current 300W PSU could be the culprit in regards to the issues related to the HD 3850.

At least the 9800 Pro was still a killer card for it's time, so early-mid 2000's games shouldn't be a problem for it. I know it handles GTA San Andreas, as well as half-life 2 well. Return to Castle Wolfenstein runs on max at what feels like an insanely high frame rate.

Maybe even though I can technically get a card like the HD 3850 to work in here, other components just can't work well with it. I don't really know.

I'm just happy I got my system back up and running as it should.

Yeah, definitely try a better PSU before anything else. I doubt even a brand-new 80+ 300W PSU would be enough for that machine. The 8-pin PCIe power port on the HD3850 is supposed to deliver up to 150W, and it's there for a reason. The P4/3.4 probably chews through another 90 or 100W on top of that.

I think I had a 460 or 500W Antec PSU in mine.

So I guess sticking a "mediocre" hd4550 in my HP DC7600 would be an exercise in futility, as the p/s is only 240watts?

Upon learning it was socket 775 I had high hopes for the thing, surprisingly well built for an HP (but it is a business class item). I had thought I could substitue some kind of Xeon, only to have my hopes dashed.

What would you expect to accomplish with an hd4550 I stalled in a x4 1.0 pci-e slot? Anything at all lol? The HP has a x16 slot I think. I was thinking of my dual Xeon box.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    No problems out of a GeForce 6800 GT in a little Shuttle system. I don't know if that's a "fast" AGP card or not
    The board that packs up for me is a Winfast 6600 GT. Don't know why.

Lol boy was I off topic. I had forgotten the thread was about agp cards. Whoops.