Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: But can it run Crysis?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I wonder if you'll have much success in finding a beefier board with AGP. Wasn't 2004 about the last gasp for AGP? After that, most systems seem to use PCIe.

My memory is a bit faulty here...
    The last AGP card made in any significant number was the HD4650/70 in 2008. But like a lot of other late AGP cards released when it was fading from the market, it wasn't a true AGP card. It used a PCIe to AGP bridge chip, which was the source of some pretty severe driver compatibility issues. I believe Sapphire was the only vendor that released these cards, and you had to run their proprietary driver for the card to work. The configuration was not supported by ATI and the mainstream driver form them wouldn't work with the card.

There were a few other weird cards like this released in limited numbers. XFX released a Geforce 7900 GT AGP card in 2006 which was supposed to only be a PCIe card.

I don't have extensive knowledge of graphics cards. All I know is pci is much faster then isa . I built a pmmx box from cobbled together parts in 2000. I had a nos paradise vga card so just jammed that in it. Someone emailed me a graphic in some weird paperport format. It was bloody huge! Took up much more then 1 screen in whatever I used to view it. And if you dared to try to pan outside the immediate area, even just a touch, omgosh everything ground to a halt. I decided to invest in a cheapo pci card and you could fly around that same graphic at light speed. Man that was gratifying.

Rx 570s are yesterday's news largely. But you can get them sometimes for a bit over 100$ often, new. Not anytime soon. But is there a big difference as to who manufactured it? Off the top of my head there's asus, evga, gigabyte, msi, xfx, sapphire.

Sorry didn't mean to drift too far off topic once again. Reading through the postings just got me to thinking about cards in general.

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    But is there a big difference as to who manufactured it? Off the top of my head there's asus, evga, gigabyte, msi, xfx, sapphire.
    Most every video card vendor today just uses the reference design released by the GPU manufacturer and designs their own custom cooler to go with it. Some release pre-overclocked and further binned cards at a price premium, but unless you're a hard core overclocker, those cards are pointless.

There were a handful of video card vendors back in the mid to late 90s and early 2000s that stood out by releasing custom non-reference boards, but such an ordeal today is far more expensive due to the orders of magnitude more complexity of modern GPUs. It doesn't make sense from a financial perspective to spin up an entirely new board design from scratch, especially with the razor thin margins PC component manufacturers operate on today.