Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: But can it run Crysis?

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    Lol boy was I off topic. I had forgotten the thread was about agp cards. Whoops.
    No biggy.

To answer your original question though, a 240W PSU is mostlikely not going to be enough for a powerful video card and all the rest of the components. I'd say get an 80+ 500W PSU, you should be good, that's what I have in my modern machine, which has a 4ghz i7-4790k and a gtx 1060 6gb in it, and no problems.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

Blog Entries

Aren't most P4-rated PSUs in the 300+ watt range? The one in my P4 box is a 500 watt one.

Quote Originally Posted by ScanDisk View Post
    No biggy.

To answer your original question though, a 240W PSU is mostlikely not going to be enough for a powerful video card and all the rest of the components. I'd say get an 80+ 500W PSU, you should be good, that's what I have in my modern machine, which has a 4ghz i7-4790k and a gtx 1060 6gb in it, and no problems.
    I left out part of the model designation: DC7600 SFF (small form factor). It's proprietary, and probably couldn't fit anything but a low profile card
    I absolutely love the way they used to illustrate the old cards. Sometimes it's just box art. All the newer cards don't have any hot warrior princesses, a travesty. And though I like the HP a lot, there really isn't much I can do with it, and hence no good reason to hang onto it.

But the Xeon box I built has the original 850 watt Xion reinstalled. I have a Seasonic 650 in reserve, but assuming my new Xeon build works, I'll keep the Seasonic for that. I also have an older Antec 430 watt unit. But as for a graphics card for the original Xeon ..... uh can't see spending anymore then 25$ if that being it only has x4 pci-e. The card may not even work.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Aren't most P4-rated PSUs in the 300+ watt range? The one in my P4 box is a 500 watt one.
    Not this one apparently. I could double check if it was mysteriously upgraded. But the website says 240.

^^ You might be fine with a HD4550, that's a low-power workstation card & is usually passively cooled. The OP's 3850 was a high-end GPU at the time, on a larger die, and takes a good chunk of power. THAT SAID, the PSUs in those Dell/HP/Compaq SFF boxes from that era are generally crap regardless of their rating.

I've run a HD3450 (with an active, albeit tiny, fan) in a laptop dock for what it's worth.

I do believe the hd4550s I've seen have fans, single. I probably won't bother with the HP, and rather use it with the dual socket 771 Xeon, if it'll even work in a x4 slot. The mobo has 2 such slots, later versions had a single x8 slot. Maybe I can deviously combine the lanes from the 2 separate slots.

It will work, you'll just not get the full performance of it.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

I think what I am gonna do is leave the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro in this machine since it was a High End card for this computers time, and I can get it's full performance out of it with my 3.4gz P4 in this machine.

The HD 3850 would not be able to give me it's full performance because of being limited by the processor and other older components, considering this board is from 2002 and the computer has an mfg date of JAN 2004.

I think it would be smarter to save the HD 3850 for another system, maybe something with a core 2 quad, and running Vista, so It won't be CPU limited.

Blog Entries

I wonder if you'll have much success in finding a beefier board with AGP. Wasn't 2004 about the last gasp for AGP? After that, most systems seem to use PCIe.

My memory is a bit faulty here...

I'll have to see if it's possible, but the HD 3850 is a card from 2008, and seeing as there clearly is an AGP version of it, there must've been some demand to justify it.